AST: flood from faulty tap, but who's responsible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST: flood from faulty tap, but who's responsible?

Hi there,

I've just joined this forum as I am looking for advice relatign to a AST I have just ended. The story is as follows:

I have been renting the propert for 10 months and recently gave notice that I was planning to move out. I moved all my property to my new address just over 2 weeks before I was due to hand over the keys back to the estate agents.

After approximately 10 days I received a call from the estate agents to say they had been in the property (without calling me for permission) and noticed that there was a leak from the tap where the washer had been removed. The valve was closed but the tap had still leaked.

The estate agents have said they expect me to pay for the plumber to come out and cap off the tap, which as they maintain the property I would expect them to pay for. They also expect me to pay for a carpet cleaning company to come round and vac up the excess water that has flooded the hall and lounge carpet.

I'm not sure how I stand on this legally, as this is resultant of the failed tap should the landlord be responsible for the tap and the carpet cleaning company, or as I had left the property vacant would I be responsible for the carpet cleaning.

Sorry for the long email but I just wanted to explain the whole story.

Cheers

Andy

As a contractor for agents i can tell you that a faulty tap is not your fault and any pipe or tap can burst at any time and this would be the sole responsibilty of the agent not you!

Comment

Whipers, I'm not sure it's as clear as that. Whilst the tap may not have worked properly... no leak could occur until OP took his washing machine off the pipe. Only the removal of the washing machine led to the flood.
      The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Did you hand back the keys? If so, then you could argue that your responsibility for the property (not necessarily the rent) had ended.

Comment

Surrey,

I still had the keys as my tenancy agreement had not come to an end. But due to a holiday I moved all my belongings to my new property the day before going on holiday.

Grange,

I appreciate it was the removal of the washing machine that resulted in the flood but the leak was actually due to a faulty tap. I guess I've i'd have moved my property out on the last day the house would have still flooded as there would have been no machine connected to the pipes for a week until the new tenants moved in.

I haven't contacted the estate agents yet to dispute this, I was hoping to understand my position legally before I approached them.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
            Grange,

I appreciate it was the removal of the washing machine that resulted in the flood but the leak was actually due to a faulty tap. I guess I've i'd have moved my property out on the last day the house would have still flooded as there would have been no machine connected to the pipes for a week until the new tenants moved in.
            Were you not aware that the tap was leaking when you removed your washing machine?
            The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Unfortunately not, as the house was left for 10 days before being checked it could have been a very minor leak, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
                it could have been a very minor leak, but I don't know.
                So you detached a washing machine from a tap and did not bother to check that the tap was properly turned off. Morally responsible for the damage - but obviously no responsibility for the repair as that is the landlord's problem.

Comment

yes, stupid I know. All i can say is that I was busy on moving day and overlooked it.

From this would you believe that it is my responsiblity for the carpet cleaning/recover op and the landlords responsibility for the plumbers fee's to fix the tap?

Logically that sounds fair to me but I wondered wehther I could argue the cost of the carpet cleaning as it was due a faulty tap?

Comment

>>I could argue the cost of the carpet cleaning as it was due a faulty tap?

Presumably you could have turned the water off at the mains.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      BouwensPB
                      I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                      26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      Galatea
                      I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                      27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Pb21
                      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Galatea
                      Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                      The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                      27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                    • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                      IoIo
                      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                      26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                    • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                      IoIo
                      Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
                      27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
                    • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                      Berlingogirl
                      This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                      27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                    • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                      Berlingogirl
                      I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                      27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                      Wright76
                      You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                      27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                      theartfullodger
                      Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                      27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                    Working...
                    X