Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provision of Television Services

Hi,
    This may sound like a minor annoyance, but it's really causing me problems. I live in a development of flats, which are wired for Virgin Media. Those who have dealt with VM will know where this is going, Virgin do not provide a viable service in my opinion. I've been a customer (for customer read "sap") for 12 months and I've NEVER had a correct bill (it took me 6 months to get a bill at all!), and I'm usually overcharged by a factor of 2. Anyway, that's just by way of background so you can understand where I'm coming from. At the moment, although I would dearly love to dump VM, there's no provision for terrestrial television services in my development and I'm not allowed to put up a sky dish. My question is, is the landlord obliged to provide alternatives for television services (or at least basic terrestrial)? At the moment, everyone in the court is bound to Virgin Media by virtue of an absence of alternative, and I can't believe that kind of forced monopoly is legal.

Annoyed_Tennant

The answer to that is no. The landlord is only obliged to maintain that which was there at the beginning of the tenancy. It's not his/her fault if VM is imcompetent. I take it you are there under an AST or are you a leaseholder.

Comment

Yes, I'm on an AST, it just seems unfair that I'm not even allowed freeview, we all have to pay VM and only VM.

Comment

Vm

Not an ideal solution, but...

buy a decent indoor aerial and a freeview box and cancel VM.

Comment

There are also more options becoming available with digital TV being availabnle on line via a broadband connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed_Tennant View Post
            My question is, is the landlord obliged to provide alternatives for television services (or at least basic terrestrial)? At the moment, everyone in the court is bound to Virgin Media by virtue of an absence of alternative, and I can't believe that kind of forced monopoly is legal.
            You do realise that watching television isn't compulsory? Perhaps your landlord is really doing you a favour by trying to wean you off your dependence on it :-)

Perhaps you should try the European Court of Human Rights; you might be able to argue that LL is breaching your fundamental right to so-called "entertainment".

Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
              charliesugar
              This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
              She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
              27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
              mariner
              [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
              win...
              21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
            • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              Hayleydenice93
              Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
              20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
            • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              mariner
              So who owns the Freehold?
              IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
              21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
            • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              Jenny7
              Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
              So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
              We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
              17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              MrShed
              Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
              20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              KTC
              Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
              20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
            • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
              20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
              20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              JK0
              Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
              20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
            Working...
            X