tenant references

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenant references

An applicant for a property has been declined. They have requested copies of the references we obtained (so I would consider this to be private mail) including a copy of their credit check.

Am I obliged to give them to them? Thanks for any help!

I would say not.
    But is there any harm in letting them have copies?

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
      I would say not.
      But is there any harm in letting them have copies?
      Its because of the content of the references that they have been declined. I dont want to hand over the letters/credit check only to have the referees calling me complaining that Ive put them in it!

In my mind, its private mail, but I didnt know whether by refusing to release the references Im in breach of freedom of information/human rights act!!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenlord View Post
        Its because of the content of the references that they have been declined. I dont want to hand over the letters/credit check only to have the referees calling me complaining that Ive put them in it!

In my mind, its private mail, but I didnt know whether by refusing to release the references Im in breach of freedom of information/human rights act!!
        References are usually meant to be confidential, I think. You could ask the referees if they'd mind you passing their comments to the tenant, but if they say no I suspect you can't be forced to by T.

Peter

Comment

You must protect the referees confidentiallity. Only release if you are ordered by judge to do so.

You could shred all evidence, then you are not under any data-protection thingy as it is only relevant to stored data you hold.

You may have to tell them who you got the check done by and they will have to approach them; usually you are not allowed to show them results and they must approach credit agency direct?
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I would happily give them a copy of their formal credit check (why wouldn't you? Usually they have paid for it!) but would not pass on letters of reference written by individuals. Just the way I work!
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
              vpltd
              Hi,
              Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
              (A residential let in England.)
              VPL.
              11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jjlandlord
              You made a claim. You tell us.

It was claimed that a tenant may freely leave whenever he pleases once he has received a s.21notice. If that was indeed the case you can imagine the mess with all those precautionary notices.

It was already the case...
              18-08-2017, 12:43 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              Wright76
              I totally agree, I was just trying to find any justification for claims that a tenant must serve notice in return of a section 21. It could never ever be demanded within the 2 month notice period, and in my opinion I agree it couldn't be demanded thereafter. But JJlandlord is adamant that requirement...
              18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
            • Lying tenant
              mazco
              We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
              In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
              18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              JK0
              Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
              18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              jpkeates
              The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
              It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
              That's the tenant's money.
              18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              mazco
              Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
              18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              jpkeates
              And, of course, this....
              18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              jpkeates
              There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
              If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
              If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
              18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
            • Reply to Lying tenant
              JK0
              I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
              18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
            Working...
            X