Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting situation Re S21

Hi all,

Ive got an odd situation. Due to a clerical error with a contract, we have an AST running from 1st Nov 2007 to 1st April 2008. This is 5 months and a day (eg not six months).

The tenent is (supposedly) in receipt of housing benefit however none has yet materialised although we have seen a cheque from them.

The rent is now just over two months in arrears (by £100).

We need to serve a S21 notice. We are outside the two months notice for the end date on the contract to serve a S21 1 b, however as the minimum term for an AST is six months this may not matter.

Could anyone advise on what date should be going on the S21 1b (or even if we should be using a S21 4a!) for the "expires after" date?

The rent is down as payable monthly in advance on the first day of the month.

Just out of interest, a mandatory ground for S8 (we intend to serve this as well for good measure) is two months in arrears. When is this calculated? Is it enough that the due date for rent (eg 1st of the month) has passed for the rent to be classed is in arrears, or do you have to wait until the entire month has passed before it is arrears.

Thanks all.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Can't yet get my head around your S.21 dates issue, but as far as the S.8 is concerned, it is not two months in arrears but 2 months UNPAID that counts.

Comment

OK, it has to be a S.21 1B as one way or another it AST is still within the fixed term.
      As for the expiry date?? is it a 5 or 6 month agreement?

Comment

Just call it S21 with no a or b. That way you can't get it wrong. Also, don't forget they'll have a minimum of 6 months fixed term, regardless of what you've put on your contract.

Courts can't give possession during fixed term on discretionary grounds (9 to 17) in a S8.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          We have an AST running from 1st Nov 2007 to 1st April 2008. This is 5 months and a day (eg not six months)...

We need to serve a S21 notice. We are outside the two months notice for the end date on the contract to serve a S21 1 b, however as the minimum term for an AST is six months this may not matter.

Could anyone advise on what date should be going on the S21 1b (or even if we should be using a S21 4a!) for the "expires after" date?

The rent is down as payable monthly in advance on the first day of the month.
          1. There is NO "minimum term for an AST"! See item 5 below, however.
          2. The term of this tenancy is still running.
          3. So Notice would be under s.21(1)(b).
          4. It has to give two months' notice to T. As long as it's served before1 April, the notice period is exactly two months from service.
          5. BUT the Possession Order, once obtained, cannot award vacant possession to L until 1 May (the 'six-month' rule).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Why have an expiry date on the AST at all. Just have a start date and say for a term certain of six/months!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
              pdmalik
              Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
              23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
            • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
              wfd_property
              So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
              24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
            • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
              Manchesterlandlord
              hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
              24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
            • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
              wfd_property
              Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
              24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
              KTC
              "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
              24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
            • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
              Jcg76
              I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
              Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
              24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
              nukecad
              At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
              And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
              24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
              jpkeates
              Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
              Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
              Give them the deposit back and you're done....
              24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
            • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
              JP23
              Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
              23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
            • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
              jpkeates
              Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
              24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
            Working...
            X