Lease still has 4 months to run but landlord wants to sell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease still has 4 months to run but landlord wants to sell

I rent a house and my annual rental agreement still has 4 months to run. I have just taken a new job that enables me to walk to work from my rented property so I'm loth to move but now my landlady has decided she wants to sell the property and is making my life a little unpleasant

What are my rights regarding occupancy till the contract expires? If I offer to move out early can I ask the LL to compensate me for the rent for the remaining months? What about the cost of finding a new place to live / removal fees / storage fees? What about my rights during visits or viewings by potential buyers?

1. Your tenancy is entirely unaffected. You can stay put, if you want, at least until the fixed term expires.
    2. You do not need to allow access for viewings unless you want to.
    3. If you feel like leaving early, you could surrender the tenancy in exchange for £££.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by theoriginalsid View Post
      What are my rights regarding occupancy till the contract expires?
      You are legally entitled to stay until the end of the contract. LL can either sell with you included in the sale or wait until you've left. Or negotiate an agreed early surrender of the contract.

If I offer to move out early can I ask the LL to compensate me for the rent for the remaining months?
      You can bargain, if that's what you mean --- e.g. "I'll move out early if you pay me £X."

What about the cost of finding a new place to live / removal fees / storage fees?
      You could offer to move out early if she pays these costs.

What about my rights during visits or viewings by potential buyers?
      If you don't want any visits or viewings, they can't visit or view. It's your home and nobody can enter without your permission --- except in an emergency.

EDIT: Jeffrey beat me to it!

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
        EDIT: Jeffrey beat me to it!

Peter
        Violence will solve nothing, these beatings must stop!

Comment

Having been in the same situation so many times that I'm almost fed-up of posting - having been a regular poster on this matter before : you have rights and you have no rights.

Basically, doesn't matter how long your tenancy - they can sell with you in it. END OF.

You can chose to make life difficult - and refuse them entry to a) let an EA value the property b) allow prospective buyers around the property - but in my experience this has been counter-productive if you are dealing with a decent landlord but then again, a decent landlord would probably do it nicely and let you know etc.

Have to say LLs have us over a barrell on this count - if we are not nice - they refuse to give back our deposits - or make it difficult - if we are nice - they might give back our deposits but then again, may not!!

Have to say if your LL is selling now - given all the hype around - and if they don't own a substantial amount of the property - etc, etc - then you're likely to be with a LL who is desperate to sell - you might (might) be able to negotiate a month's rental for inconvenience - but I've never managed it - and so many of the properties I've been in have been sold within a year!

Moving costs - etc - you'll only get if they have a secure buyer within a month who insists on a completion date - in my experience - that has NEVER happened - and believe me I have so much experience on this.

However, what I have had work in my favour - was saying I would stay on and move out nicely - until exchange of contracts (enabling them to get their rent till last possible moment - and me stay in home and lengthen out moving costs).

Has meant on several occasions staying in over 9 months after property on market - but then again meant having to find somewhere at less than 4 weeks!! Not easy in some places.

Have written to my local MP on this matter 5 times - never got a reply. Guess his son/daughter was in charge - so not surprised.

Good luck.

Comment

The new purchaser may be delighted to buy it with a T in situ. So you may not lose your home. You're going to lose in in 4 months anyway; if you play ball you may be in luck with the new owner.
            The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
              charliesugar
              This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
              She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
              27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
              mariner
              [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
              win...
              21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
            • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              Hayleydenice93
              Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
              20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
            • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              mariner
              So who owns the Freehold?
              IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
              21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
            • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              Jenny7
              Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
              So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
              We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
              17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              MrShed
              Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
              20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              KTC
              Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
              20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
            • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
              20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
              20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              JK0
              Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
              20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
            Working...
            X