landlord responsibility queries.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landlord responsibility queries.

hi, ive posted a few queries in the past during my brief time as a landlord but i am now renting a property and have a couple of questions please.

i have just started a 6month lease through a private landlord for a brand new house. as far i am aware, the landlord hadnt even seen the property before we met on the day to sign the lease so he hadnt paid much attention to finishings etc. i had a couple of issues which he agreed to resolve such as blinds for the windows, turf for the garden and floor coverings.

that was last week but i have now discovered a couple of other things which i would appreciate your thoughts on before i raise them with the landlord.

1. tv aerial. there are 2 sockets, and from the builder i understand the aerial cable is wired into the loft but is not attached to an aerial. would it be reasonable to expect the landlord to provide a tv aerial?

3. bt phoneline. again, the sockets are there, and i understand the cable is laid, but is not connected and i have been told there is a £125 connection charge from BT (this is for a 2 minute job). would it be normal for the tennant or the landlord to pay this?

cheers

paul

Originally posted by paulw View Post

3. bt phoneline. again, the sockets are there, and i understand the cable is laid, but is not connected and i have been told there is a £125 connection charge from BT (this is for a 2 minute job). would it be normal for the tennant or the landlord to pay this?

cheers

paul
    As a tenant myself, I have always paid the BT connection fee where required .. Infact I'm having to shell out again as I'm moving into a new build flat this weekend and a new line needs connecting .. Seems fair enough to me that the tenant should pay (Although I do think that BT charge such a large sum for a small job!)

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
      1. tv aerial. there are 2 sockets, and from the builder i understand the aerial cable is wired into the loft but is not attached to an aerial. would it be reasonable to expect the landlord to provide a tv aerial?
      Yes.

Try negotiating with LL, but if he says no it's up to you. A lot of people don't use landlines these days, so LL might not think it's worth the investment.

Peter

Comment

thanks for replies.

i really dont want a landline telephone to be honest, but i understand that i need one to get skydigital/broadband with sky. ive always had virginmedia via cable so this is new to me.

paul

Comment

There is no legal obligation for L to provide telephone landline, TV aeriel, or any other similarly non-essential facilities. L might agree with T to instal them, contractually, but they are not mandatory under either s.11 of LTA 1985 or otherwise.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I don't believe it is the Landlord responsibility to provide an aerial - not according to the AST's I've read anyway. If there is one there already and it fails for any reason, then it is their responsibility.

Comment

As a 25-year tenant - I've always paid connection fees - it's never been offered as LL responsibility.

Pain is - having to be in when they arrange to connect - and then don't turn-up!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldieboy View Post
                I don't believe it is the Landlord responsibility to provide an aerial - not according to the AST's I've read anyway. If there is one there already and it fails for any reason, then it is their responsibility.
                But if there's an aerial socket on the wall, then unless specifically advised to the contrary, it would be pretty reasonable for an incoming tenant to assume that it would be connected to an aerial!

Comment

Never assume anything. Ask for written confirmation/warranty, if it's sufficiently important.
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Should the thread title be "landlord IRresponsibility queries"?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      There is no legal obligation for L to provide...TV aeriel
                      Are you feeling well, Jeffrey? There is a spelling mistake in your post!

Is this a first?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
                        Are you feeling well, Jeffrey? There is a spelling mistake in your post!

Is this a first?

Peter
                        Sorry- I'm excellent at spelling but rubbish at typing!
                        Or was it a biological soap powder's contamination of my linguistic ability?
                        [aerial/aeriel- geddit?]

Comment

Originally posted by heather5 View Post
                          As a 25-year tenant - I've always paid connection fees - it's never been offered as LL responsibility.

Pain is - having to be in when they arrange to connect - and then don't turn-up!
                          Have to admit I've never had this problem with BT ... Always turned up promptly and worked quickly, as they did yesterday .. guess I've been lucky ..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord (me) or agent to register deposit - pros & cons
                            123Landlord
                            Hello,

I'm writing my ideal specification for employing an agent - I'm a very optimistic person!

So this is hypothetical ... I'm trying to work out if it's better to get an agent to register a deposit or register it myself (even if I pay for a fully managed service).
                            18-09-2017, 19:40 PM
                          • Reply to Landlord (me) or agent to register deposit - pros & cons
                            tatemono
                            okay... let me spell that out then to see if there are any gaps in my knowledge
                            1. I'd have to make sure that the AST contains a clause that allows notices/PI/etc to be served by email.
                            2. They'd pay me the deposit via bank transfer.
                            3. I'd place the deposit with DPS.
                            4. I'd send them the PI via email along
                            20-09-2017, 09:24 AM
                          • Wording on AST Renewal
                            MYork
                            I have been in this property for 14 months now (15/7/16). In at the end of April I received a letter regarding renewal of my tenancy agreement. When reading the letter it states if I wish to renew or alternatively if I wish to vacate the property so I was under the assumption that these were the only...
                            19-09-2017, 19:37 PM
                          • Reply to Wording on AST Renewal
                            tatemono
                            It is not illegal (currently) for LA's to charge an admin fee for renewal of an AST. Nor is it illegal for a LL to insist that a tenancy does not go periodic but is renewed with a further fixed term. It may not be what you want and you may be right to think it's not fair, but it's not illegal.
                            20-09-2017, 09:20 AM
                          • Taking on a lodger and interpreting mortgage terms
                            Eigentum
                            Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to the world of property investment. I've recently purchased a second property on a residential mortgage for the purposes of being closer to my workplace for most of the week and also to ease myself into understanding the world of property investment. It's...
                            19-09-2017, 22:02 PM
                          • Reply to Taking on a lodger and interpreting mortgage terms
                            jpkeates
                            For tax purposes, you will have to select which of the two properties you own is your main residence (as CGT is payable on the other one).

Your mortgage terms may not allow the situation anyway, as normally a residential mortgage is assumed to be on your main residence, not somewhere you...
                            20-09-2017, 09:02 AM
                            ilovelettingagents
                            I'm referring to Letting Agents that present your options as being "sign a new fixed term and pay the fee" or "move out". This is clearly misleading, as the third option of a statutory periodic tenancy is not put forward. The tenant is in no position to negotiate anything - you either...
                            20-09-2017, 09:01 AM
                          • How early do you start advertising?
                            PollyW
                            I manage my own properties and have always waited until I have a vacant flat which is ready for letting before I start advertising.

I have a tenant due to leave in one month and I am concerned that the later I leave the advertising, the harder it will be to fill the flat, given the time...
                            19-09-2017, 08:19 AM
                          • Reply to How early do you start advertising?
                            boletus
                            One month before, usually have a waiting list by the time it is empty....
                            20-09-2017, 08:54 AM
                            security2
                            Yeah, it's shocking isn't it. You sign a legal contract, under UK law, and the least you'd expect is to be able to walk away from it and for any of the terms that you agreed to and signed up for to be just ridden roughshod over...

Some people need to take responsibility for their own actions!...
                            20-09-2017, 08:18 AM
                          Working...
                          X