Tenants missed first months rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants missed first months rent

My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment and I have discovered from his workplace that he has gone on holiday for a week.His phone is switched off so I have been leaving stern voicemails telling him that I am not happy but there is not a lot I can do until he comes back. So far he has been a pretty decent tenant so I don't want to come down too hard on him but people don't usually forget to pay their rent.The fact that he hasnt returned any of my messages is also worrying me because most people still take their phones on holiday.
    Any advice on how to deal with this??

Originally posted by Madison View Post
    My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment and I have discovered from his workplace that he has gone on holiday for a week.His phone is switched off so I have been leaving stern voicemails telling him that I am not happy but there is not a lot I can do until he comes back. So far he has been a pretty decent tenant so I don't want to come down too hard on him but people don't usually forget to pay their rent.The fact that he hasnt returned any of my messages is also worrying me because most people still take their phones on holiday.
    Any advice on how to deal with this??
    1. "So far he has been a pretty decent tenant"? Not very far, is it?
    2. He might not have set up an intended standing order to your bank; he might be abroad, without mobile telephone roaming facility; etc.
    3. On the other hand, you might be the victim of a professional scammer.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Madison View Post
      My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment ...
      Bit puzzled by this.

It is normal practice for the first months rent to be paid before occupation. So, do you mean the second months rent?

I find that banks are particularly inept where the setting up of standing orders are concerned. It seems to me that they give this task to the newest and least experienced member of staff - at least that is the only explanation I can think of for the number of errors that occur.

If a standing order mandate was completed, it is likely that the bank has messed up.

If not, go over your paperwork carefully to check it is in order and and then be prepared for court action.
      On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

In order to ensure that the standing order was in place for the rent payment I decided to send a mandate with my details filled in and the remainder to be filled in by the tenant. I enclosed a stamped addressed envelope to myself and T sent it back, I took it to the bank and handed it in.

Therefore, unless the bank messed it up, the only way the rent wouldnt be paid is if the T had no cash to pay it, or they cancelled the standing order.

Just a thought

Pete

Comment

As soon as he is 1 month and 1 day in arrears SECTION 8 grounds 8,10,11 ASAP

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
            scooter08
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
            England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
            AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
            12/04/2015
            21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
          • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
            scooter08
            Thanks for the reply jp....
            21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
            jpkeates
            Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
            21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
            scooter08
            I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
            21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
            scooter08
            I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
            21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
          • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
            bald555
            Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
            21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
          • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
            bald555
            and yes, there is a mortgage...
            21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
            jpkeates
            Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
            21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
            Wright76
            And although as jpkeates suggests you have a right to turn them away and force a court order, this does not mean they have breached your right to quiet enjoyment.

It means you are refusing to honour your AST and the landlord Is forced to apply to court to make you legally comply. Again,...
            21-07-2017, 17:35 PM
          • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
            bald555
            Many thanks for the reply. Yes, my company has leased the HMO in question under commercial lease but it's not registered at land registry as it's only a 12 month lease.

Tenants are friends so less of am issue as such but they'll be outside of their 6 months by the time of any would be...
            21-07-2017, 17:31 PM
          Working...
          X