Boiler breakdown...48hrs...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boiler breakdown...48hrs...

    Me again!

    Right folks, here goes...

    i have lived in this house for 12 months, the boiler has broke down about 7 times since then,,,friday was the last time....i rang the agency and they said they couldn't send anyone out "at that time of day" even though it was only 3-40pm...what happens that it shuts off for no reason, and the ignition button "pops out" when you go to sort it comes on for literally seconds then "pops out" out and the gas supply cuts out on it...the ignition button has been replaced twice in 12 months..obviously the boiler needs replacing in my opinion!I rang the EMH about it, and they said the LL shouldn't leave us without heating/hot water any longer than 24 hrs...i spoke to them yesterday, and they said they have to clear it with the LL for someone to come out...and he wasn't available yesterday afternoon! so we have been sat here from friday at 3-40pm, till obviously sometime tomorrow before any gets sent out..

    What i need to know is...what's the legal time limit of leaving someone without heating/hot water before it becomes a criminal offence?
    Last edited by jinny; 03-02-2008, 21:46 PM. Reason: typo

  • #2
    There is no time limit; but it must be completed in reasonable time. If you were elderly or had a baby, your need would be more urgent, and more pressure could be brought to bare on the LL. Your Local Authority Housing/Tenancy relations officer should be able to help you make a complaint and bring action if necessary.

    Section 11 of the Landlord and TEnant ACt 1985, requires a Landlord to maintain the heating and hot water.

    Read the ACT here. Go to section 11

    In certain circumstances, if the LL fails in his duty, you have the right to do the repairs yourself and take them out of rent. There is a strict procedure for this; its best to get advice from you housing team at the Local Authority on how to do this.


    You also have the right to claim compensation for the inconvenience of all the breakdowns; you can negotiate this direct with your landlord, or take him to court if he will not play ball.

    You could find out who your LL is by asking in writing that the agent gives hisname and address; criminal offence if they do not give it in 21days. Or go to Land Registry online and pay £3 to find out who owns your property. Then you can bug him direct; or complain that the agency does not respond to your requests.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

    * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

    You can search the forums here:


    Latest Activity


    • Claiming for protected deposit
      This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
      Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
      I served the...
      21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      OP - yes do send the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor for the tenants. That should stop proceedings but did you give them the PI and How to Rent details + gas certificate. In future make tenants sign a receipt to say they received these items - I do it on move in day and leave them...
      21-07-2017, 08:41 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
      1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
      2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
      21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
    • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

      I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
      20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

      The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
      21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

      STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

      I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
      21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

      If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
      21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords

      That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

      I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

      21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
    • Help. Scam/ fraud letting

      i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

      The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
      20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
    • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

      Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
      21-07-2017, 07:46 AM