Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discounts for no water/heating

Hi,

I have just signed up new tenants and the boiler has packed up, no water or heating. I have bought brand new oil heaters to keep them going and we are on the case for a plumber but explained it could be a couple of weeks before the work get carried out due to availability of plumbers.

Is their a going rate for discounting their rent in such circumstances - they are still living there but they have relatives in the same road where they can shower every day.

Cheers
    Jo

Originally posted by mcvelia View Post
    I have just signed up new tenants and the boiler has packed up, no water or heating. I have bought brand new oil heaters to keep them going and we are on the case for a plumber but explained it could be a couple of weeks before the work get carried out due to availability of plumbers.

Is their a going rate for discounting their rent in such circumstances - they are still living there but they have relatives in the same road where they can shower every day.
    I think 2 weeks without hot water is pretty unreasonable actually - so it had better be a fairly hefty discount.

Bear in mind that it's not actually about availability of plumbers - it's about how much you're prepared to pay for an emergency plumber. I'm afraid "being on the case for a plumber" really doesn't cut it under these circumstances.
    Last edited by Ericthelobster; 02-02-2008, 17:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

The boiler has to be replaced so its not just a case of phoning a 24 hr plumber to fix a leaky tap. When they signed the contract on Thursday i gave them the opportunity that they could find another flat or wait the mentioned time, they chose the latter.

Comment

2 weeks is a long time, but you have done more than many would by offering them a get-out and supplying heaters, so well done on that score.

You could ask them what they would be happy with, and then either pay that or negotiate and have a well reasoned argument why you dont agree.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

My tenancy last year I was without water - and heating for at least 4 weeks during March - I thought I'd moved into a nice 1 bed house - moved myself out of a studio flat - and then discovered on moving in that I couldn't have a bath more than two inches as the water went cold!! Complained to the letting agent - and it was until it all packed up that the LL did something about it - he replaced the boilder in June having reported it in January. LL also wanted me out so he cld sell - so tried all sorts of stuff - but I was a member of a gym up the road - and they had lovely hot showers and provided soft-cuddly towels.

I didn't seek compensation - although I should of - because my Dad had died around that time - and I just didn't need the hassle as I was often visiting mym Mum at weekends.

However, I think it would be right for you to give them compensation - of the period of time that they are without facilities.

When you move as a tenant - you may only be in the property a short space of time - not out of your chosing as so many are selling-up these days - and that costs when you move in time and money - so compensation to your tenants is a right way to go forward - perhaps you shld suggest a figure that you can afford and take it from there.

Finding yourself renting a place you'd hoped would be home without hassles and then having major hassles is a real downer - and sometimes causes tenants to become more militant than they otherwise would - it brings out the worst in even the most understanding.

Despite my circumstances - a plumber was found within 48 hours - and he recommended replacement of the whole system but did emergency measures to keep it going for a few more months - never mind it was more months after that my LL took it seriously.

Good for you - and good luck that it's resolved quickly and amicably.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
            aciduzzo
            I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
            25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
          • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
            theartfullodger
            How will you know who actually signs? Either do it front of you after copying id or via solicitor
            25-07-2017, 12:40 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            theartfullodger
            It is landlord's responsibility, he may then choose to charge you for it (don't pay).

If he refuses to fix it, not a lot you can do, sorry
            25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            mariner
            What was stolen?
            Did you have personal contents Ins?
            LL is resp for repairing the door, which he may claim from your deposit or give you the bill to pay.
            Why did you not notify him of broken mortice lock, which gave burglar easier access and may have compromised LL's Ins?
            Personally,...
            25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
          • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Jcg76
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            leaseholder64
            I would also have thought this was a case where planning permission was needed, as being flats, the normal permitted development rights, for extensions, would not apply. In that case, you, or rather your tenant, who should have forwarded it to you, should have received a consultation letter from the...
            25-07-2017, 10:55 AM
          • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
            jpkeates
            Each guarantor is guaranteeing their own student's liabilities, so there needs to be three deeds.

Remember that each guarantor needs to see the tenancy agreement that they are guaranteeing (or one that is identical in terms) before they sign any deed and you should advise them in writing...
            25-07-2017, 10:34 AM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            jpkeates
            I'd suggest that tell the freeholder that your tenants are so badly affected by the work that you will either have to allow them to leave or offer a significant incentive to stay - which might be equal to all of the rent as compensation (if they were to leave). And see how they respond.

25-07-2017, 10:30 AM
          • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
            scooter08
            Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
            I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
            25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
          Working...
          X