Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed tenant has no National Insurance number

Hi

Have finally found 5 seemingly lovely tenants for my house.They are from Poland and have been here for about 1.5 years.
    I have checked all of their work references and everything is fine,I have copies of all their passports & driving licences etc.I decided to use tenant verify for the credit checks just to make sure they don't owe money all over the place but as I was putting in all the information I noticed one of the 5 doesn't have a National Insurance number.
    Obviously I can't check him through tenant verify but will the lack of a NI number bring me any other problems ?
    I haven't come across this before and would be grateful for any advice.

As I understand it he needs an NI number to work... so it could be a little dodgy that he does not have one. Dig a little deeper.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

My understanding of it is the same: no NI number and you cannot work legally.

Comment

Yes I have been checking this out and the 4 that have normal employment all have NI numbers whereas this one is a self employed carpenter.He has been working for large company and they seem pleased with his work and gave him a great reference but he is obviously not paying any tax !

Comment

Self employed still need a NI number to be legally self employed! Might be a good carpenter though: useful for fixing your house, just illegal!

Comment

NI number

Anyone from EU can work and do not need NI number initially although they do end up with one.
            They have to attend Jobcentre interview with relevant ID but it can take from 4 weeks to several months. They are still entitled to work in the meantime.

See following websites:

liverpool university: http://www.liv.ac.uk/careers/student...manentNINo.pdf

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/go/featu....html?pkgid=62

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit not Protected
              prm70115
              Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
            • Reply to Deposit not Protected
              KTC
              They are still liable for a penalty of between 1x and 3x the amount of the deposit for not having protected the deposit for the original 6 months fixed term tenancy, but you'll have to sue them for it obviously. When the time comes, they can if they wish serve you valid section 21 notice unlike before...
              24-01-2018, 11:18 AM
            • Reply to Deposit not Protected
              prm70115
              An update which has confused me:

Having renewed the tenancy for another year (as I wanted the security of tenure), I received confirmation that the deposit (paid 6 months ago for the initial 6 month AST) has now been protected. I have confirmation from all the deposit protection schemes,...
              24-01-2018, 11:03 AM
            • Attending Court - Advice Please
              Muzza
              Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
              12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
              Hillsy101
              Oh I'm such a pillock - there's also a great sticky on this in this forum! - https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...cement-options...
              24-01-2018, 10:34 AM
            • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
              Dberry
              Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
              I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
              23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
            • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
              Dberry
              It turns out that there was a leak coming from the roof that caused the problem. It just so happened to be on the same day. However the sink will still be fixed which is good news.
              24-01-2018, 09:35 AM
            • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
              nessa
              Hi, hoping someone can help.

First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
              24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
            • Reply to Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
              Interlaken
              Yes you should have received other forms for guidance and to make a reply.
              Phone them - be prepared for long wait or try 1st thing and tell them what you have received.
              24-01-2018, 09:23 AM
            • Expired Smoke Alarms
              Maria Pelling
              I recently had a heating engineer undertake a Gas Safety Inspection at a property I own. The GSI was fine but in the fault details he has written that the smoke alarms have expired. Looking at them they were fitted when the property was built in October 2007 and they say they are valid for 10 years....
              23-01-2018, 15:57 PM
            Working...
            X