Tenant's father will be paying rent- what steps to take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant's father will be paying rent- what steps to take?

I saw a potential tenant today. Although he is a fully grown adult (40yrs old) his father (who came with him him to the viewing) is going to pay the 6 month rental. The tenant is going through marriage breakup and I guess this is the father's way of supporting him! So, regarding utilising TenantVERIFY, if it is the father who is paying the rent, I guess it is he who is credit checked? Is there anything I need to do regarding the tenant? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Davann45

1. As the son himself is going to be T, he will be liable for rent.
    2. Check financial status of both.
    3. Get T's father to execute a Deed of Guarantee.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you for this

Much appreciated. Need to research the Deed of Guarantee now!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
        clairol
        As a landlord what approach do you take to replacing white goods in your rental properties?
        Do you buy cheapest brands and then dispose of them when they go wrong as it is pricey to repair?
        Or do you go for a better brand and hope for longevity?
        My repair man recommends buying the...
        22-07-2017, 08:48 AM
      • Reply to What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
        jpkeates
        Horses for courses.

I've never been able to get a fridge repaired, they only have one working system and when it breaks it's time for a new fridge, so I buy the cheapest one that fits with a name I've heard of.

Washing machines can be repaired, so I pay more for one that has...
        22-07-2017, 10:27 AM
      • Claiming for protected deposit
        mandm
        This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
        Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
        I served the...
        21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
      • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
        jpkeates
        That would be pointless.

The tenant would have to sue to get their own money back.
        Apart from the waste of the court and tenant's time, there would be little or no compensation because the tenant would suffer no loss to compensate them for (loss of interest?).
        The only people...
        22-07-2017, 10:23 AM
      • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
        scooter08
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
        England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
        AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
        12/04/2015
        21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
      • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
        Wright76
        Your right that the penalty claim is the law and it's your right to claim it.

Unfortunately however you won't receive much sympathy on here,as most of us recognise that most of the breaches have been made by inexperienced landlords and not through any intention to rip you off.
        22-07-2017, 10:18 AM
        jpkeates
        The legislation has been in place for a decade and has been revisited at least twice (and tweaked each time).
        The deposit schemes have fairly clear guides about what needs to be done and how and when to do it.

Given the tenant(s) the Prescribed Information is part of the process of...
        22-07-2017, 10:17 AM
        JK0
        It discourages landlords from taking a deposit at all, and instead making it up with higher rent. This discriminates against tenants staying for a long time.

I think that is what is happening to o/p.

It's all a lot of nonsense. Tenant could always sue if landlord...
        22-07-2017, 10:12 AM
      • Reply to What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
        Dinkum
        I buy the cheapest machine I can source. It is usually a Hotpoint or Indesit. And they all come out of the same factory. Some of them last for years. I've just replaced a Hotpoint WD after 11 years with a new Indesit one. I try and avoid the ones with the digital display and too many fancy options as...
        22-07-2017, 10:09 AM
        mandm
        What’s evident from responses in this thread that equal emphasis was given to deposit protected within time frame and T were informed in a prescribed manner, some going as far as getting the T to sign the acknowledgement!
        I am really flabbergasted to read some of these emphasis, surely the point...
        22-07-2017, 10:07 AM
      Working...
      X