Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

section 21 struck out, won on appeal

Tenancy started 1st march 2007 ended 31st august 2007
    Served section 21(1)(b) 20th August 2007 giving 2 months notice to end 22nd October.

Court struck it because it didnt fall on a rent day and said it should have been 31st October.

Went to appeal court today and it has been now accepted and the tenant given 14 days to get out. Also got costs £150 + £40 (appeal cost) had to ask for it though.

The judge didnt question it and it sailed through.
    Many thanks to Adrian at the Guild of Residential landlords couldnt have done it without him and he deserves a plug. www.allforlandlords.com

What I dont understand is how can the original judge who sits on evictions (section 21's and section 8's) at least one maybe two days a week get something so fundamentally basic wrong.

As I have said before some of these judges dont know their arse from their elbow.

ITS FRIGHTENING

Well done! Notice was OK [s.21(1)(b)] because it gave T at least two months to go. It was served during fixed term, so no need [under s.21(4)(a)] for it to expire at end of a rent period. But why did you not argue this to original County Court judge?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I knew the tenant would'nt turn up to defend the original hearing and as (I though) it was so straight forward and a mandatory possession request I wasnt there either. You live and learn

Comment

Funny enough the exact same thing happened to me.

The judge said the S21 was invalid for the same reason. I politely suggested he might be wrong and read him S21 of the housing act in his chambers!

He apologised and gave me 14 day possession!

Comment

We are supposed to trust these people. I didnt think there was a grey area with s21 it is black or white.

As i said before frightening

Comment

A lesson to all - if you have a possession claim going on, make sure you're there, just to keep the judge on his toes and to make sure the other side doesn't sneak in with something wacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              A lesson to all - if you have a possession claim going on, make sure you're there, just to keep the judge on his toes and to make sure the other side doesn't sneak in with something wacky.
              How can you be there if there is no hearing for section 21 when uncontested by tenant?

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                Tenancy started 1st march 2007 ended 31st august 2007
                Served section 21(1)(b) 20th August 2007 giving 2 months notice to end 22nd October.

Court struck it because it didnt fall on a rent day and said it should have been 31st October.

Went to appeal court today and it has been now accepted and the tenant given 14 days to get out. Also got costs £150 + £40 (appeal cost) had to ask for it though.

The judge didnt question it and it sailed through.
                Many thanks to Adrian at the Guild of Residential landlords couldnt have done it without him and he deserves a plug. www.allforlandlords.com

What I dont understand is how can the original judge who sits on evictions (section 21's and section 8's) at least one maybe two days a week get something so fundamentally basic wrong.

As I have said before some of these judges dont know their arse from their elbow.

ITS FRIGHTENING

Totally agree. We had an LVT case, the judges never even prepared for the hearing and everything had to be explained on the day.
                Advertise your student property for free. No.3 on Google, 40,000+ students visitors per month:

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Another tip always prepare your case!!!! goes without saying really.
                  Going in there without a properly prepared case to put forward to the panel is asking for trouble.
                  Advertise your student property for free. No.3 on Google, 40,000+ students visitors per month:

Comment

Originally posted by ah84 View Post
                    How can you be there if there is no hearing for section 21 when uncontested by tenant?
                    Therefore best for L to demand a hearing, even if uncontested by T, as this minimises possibility that Judge will wrongly reject application.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Alternatively, second guess this and write a detailed explaination why you have not expired notice on a rent day on the s21.
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buy to let research
                        michael.blackmore
                        Hello fellow LandlordZone members,

I am working on a product/platform that will give buy to let landlords/property investors increased control and financial clarity over their portfolios. There is limited research into the actual behaviour and knowledge within this area and I would therefore...
                        22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
                      • Competitive rent cuts
                        JK0
                        I'm still trying to let the flat with the green tiles. This was let in its un-renovated state for £700 in 2010, so I think £850 is reasonable now. Trouble is that there is an equivalent flat here in Reading that has been on the market since November for £795. Another one has just gone on the market...
                        21-01-2018, 00:24 AM
                      • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
                        Interlaken
                        Is that a storage heater in the hallway? I don't see the favoured words GFCH in the details - this could well be the problem of having it on the market in January.
                        Could last tenants have left because they could not face another winter there?
                        22-01-2018, 09:10 AM
                      • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
                        MisterB
                        lol. I recently completed a complete refurb in magnolia, only for the boss to decide (in collusion with the 'selected' tenant) that it all needed to be shades of grey and a pink bedroom for her daughter,

of course I did as I was told, grumbling all the way, BUT to be honest (and as she...
                        22-01-2018, 09:01 AM
                      • Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                        Katelydstep
                        late Rent after only 3 months (just after Xmas - odd that!) and my LA firstly didn’t inform me, and now say that it’s because the tenants have had their bank account hacked.
                        would it be confrontational for me to ask for a letter of confirmation from the bank re the hacking issue?. Have had...
                        10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
                      • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                        tatemono
                        if you're in the northeast of England or northwest London, please PM me the agent's name... otherwise, thanks for sharing!
                        22-01-2018, 08:51 AM
                      • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                        islandgirl
                        I did check with a solicitor. The advice was that until I was out of pocket I could do nothing. The AST stood. If tenants had not paid rent and I had made some form of loss I could sue agent for it. I was not happy at the time. Fortunately tenant was OK. I now tell everyone locally never ever to use...
                        22-01-2018, 08:46 AM
                      • Partner as Permitted occupier worries
                        Lauren 1234
                        Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
                        21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
                      • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
                        mariner
                        Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
                        22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
                      • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
                        ferrari-airwolf
                        Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
                        21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
                      Working...
                      X