Can agent withhold deposit to pay outgoings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can agent withhold deposit to pay outgoings?

i've a couple of q's - like to hear your opinions.

Number 1 is: is it true and right that agents hold back the deposit until they have proof that all utility bills etc have been settled and finalised? then the money comes around 3 weeks later? How does this relate to my tenancy agreement where it says that landlords are not responsible for utilities etc (ie why hold the money back then?).

Question two: do people ever not pay their last months rent and tell them to take the money out of the deposit?

My reason for asking - we're moving because the landlord / agent wants to up our rent by 45%.

This is the final straw in a long list of issues. We've had a bad time - dreadful communication, small jobs not done, landlord knocking on the door demanding we pay the rent although we have and the agent has not passed it on etc etc etc. the house is nice but not brilliant. there was no inventory. it was bought but nothing done to it - it was cleaned but we have to move old furniture out and throw away the old occupants left behinds including store cupboard food and linen.

Having experienced what these people are like, we have a bad feeling we are going to have a problem getting the deposit back - we paid the insisted for 10weeks deposit because we have two cats.

Given that we're stretching ourselves to find the move in deposit for the next place, would i be better safeguarding myself by stating very clearly I will pay for fair wear and tear but it has to be mutually agreeable and I cannot and will not be not held to ransom?

For instance, they could say I am responsible for the curtain rail falling down -in reality the place is slightly damp and the rawl plugs just failed. And the carpet in the hall is coming away from the runners - they had a plumber in to fix a leak - he never put it back properly. Petty stuff but these people will try it, i'm sure.

I dont want to do anything illegal. I'm just fed up with being the one who has to take this ***, if that makes sense.

If I decide to do this, the agent will still have a good £1500 of my money - is she likely to get really snotty then? and could she cause problems with my new agent? I dont want anything to go wrong with new place.

Thanks for listening - as I said - all comments welcome!

What date was the AST issued and if it is a fixed term contract, when does/did it expire? What does the AST say about rent increases? Do you know your landlords residential address?

My understanding is that paying more than 2 months rent is unusual - more experienced posters may be able to tell you why.

I don't think you understand the concept of wear and tear - don't make any offers. Wear and tear refers to the normal degradation of the property under normal usage (for example, conventional wear on carpets and where they might thin at doorways) and is simply something that a landlord has to accept and not make deductions from the deposit.

Wear and tear is different from tenants accidentally or through negligance damaging the decor or furnishings (coffee stain on the carpet, cat urine, etc).

In a worse case scenario and your deposit is unfairly witheld after you've, you can take your landlord to court via the small claims process (despite the fact that you paid it to an agent, the landlord is usually ultimately responsible for its return). Look at the Moneyclaim online site and the Shelter website for information on how to do this. It's quite a simple and cheap process and you may well find that the lack of inventory increases your chances of winning the case as the landlord will struggle to prove the condition of the property without it.

Comment

Originally posted by glantisant View Post

Question two: do people ever not pay their last months rent and tell them to take the money out of the deposit?

!
      Yes they do I beleive this is one on the main reasons a lot of Landlords and agents now ask for a deposit higher then the monthly rent X 1.5 & 2 is not uncommon

Comment

If there was no inventory, it would be very difficult for the landlord to make any deductions for damage. In the circumstances you describe, if you disputed any such deductions, you would win.
        As johnboy has pointed out, it's not at all uncommon for a leaving tenant to ask/tell the landlord to use the deposit to pay the last months rent. This practice is of course legally and morally wrong - it isn't what both parties agreed to.
        In your case, you have paid 2 months rent as deposit, so if you refuse to pay the last months rent you may be certain of maximum resistance to paying back the rest of the deposit and also, as you mention yourself, any reference provided by your landlord will contain this negative information.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Partner as Permitted occupier worries
          Lauren 1234
          Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
          21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
        • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
          mariner
          Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
          22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
        • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
          ferrari-airwolf
          Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
          21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
        • Reply to tenant hasn't paid last months rent
          ferrari-airwolf
          Thanks for all of the great answers guys.

red hitman, I will send a letter first class recorded tomorrow stating that the rent is now a week over due.

Boletus, I served the section 21 to get the house back so i could live in it, I gave them two months notice, 4 months into...
          22-01-2018, 00:49 AM
        • Landlord/Tenant payment dispute
          serynos
          Hi everyone,

I’ve rented properties with my family for lots of years. We’ve had the odd minor disagreement here and there with landlords but nothing major and nothing we’ve been unable to resolve ourselves. All in all renting has been quite straightforward and easy as you’d expect...
          20-01-2018, 21:24 PM
        • Reply to Landlord/Tenant payment dispute
          nukecad
          So to cut the long story short;

The accidental fire damaged/moved the oil level gauge, because of this the oil ran out and so the system needed bleeding/resetting.

If the resultant damage was entirely casued by the fire, the cost of rectification should be covered by insurance....
          22-01-2018, 00:07 AM
        • Reply to Landlord/Tenant payment dispute
          AndrewDod
          This is a long story so can I try to summarise -- because it is not entirely clear what you are being asked to pay:

Possible summary:

The meter on the oil tank was bust. As a result of the bust meter, we ran the tank dry. Air got into the system as a result. I am being presented...
          21-01-2018, 23:30 PM
          nukecad
          That seems poorly worded.

The tenant can't agree to use the deposit for rent "in any way or at any time", that TA specifically states that he can't.

That doesn't mean that you can't claim unpaid rent against the deposit, just that the tenant can't agree to it....
          21-01-2018, 23:23 PM
        • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
          AndrewDod
          Than can refuse or not for whatever (legal) reason they like.

CCJs are not binary things. As a landlord I would want the FULL details of what exactly the CCJ was about, with evidence.

It is fairly hard to stop you from taking on a lodger, but if landlord feels hoodwinked they...
          21-01-2018, 23:20 PM
          boletus
          Depends on why you served the section 21.

Are they in breach of the tenancy agreement?

If you are selling up, why didn't you give a lot more amicable notice?

If you just woke up one morning and decided to serve it on a whim I would be very interested....
          21-01-2018, 20:18 PM
        Working...
        X