Section 13 notice for rent increase on expiring AST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 13 notice for rent increase on expiring AST?

Hi,

I have a tennant on a AST that is about to come to an end.

The ast has a provision for a increase in rent every 12 months. Can I just let the tennancy agreement "lapse" into a periodic? Are there any disadvantages to this?

Do I need to serve any notice on the tennant of the increase? I have looked at a S13 notice, but is says not to be used when the ast contain a mechaism for increase?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to who's repsponsibility
    by jpucng62
    Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
    02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
  • who's repsponsibility
    by madmaxwell
    Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
    02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
  • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by doobrey
    Agree with all the above.

General advice is not to let to family or friends.

If doing it, a long AST doesn't seem helpful to me. If both parties (as family members) trust each other implicitly then there should be no need for the contract. If they don't, then they should not...
    02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
  • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by meehr
    For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
    01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
  • Reply to who's repsponsibility
    by jpkeates
    No one's at fault.
    That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
    There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
    02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
  • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
    by jpkeates
    Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the...
    02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
  • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
    by Gurvinder
    Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
    He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
    30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
  • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
    by Hooper
    Either the landlord or the tenant shall be entitled to terminate the tenancy by giving at least two
    months notice in writing to that effect. Notice must not expire within the first 6/12 months of the Term and must expire on the last day of a rental period....
    02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
  • Reply to Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
    by jpkeates
    ROFL.

If they move out, the rent will stop automatically (or be reclaimed by the DWP if paid).

The tenant can stop the rent being paid to you anytime.

You’ve given them notice telling them to leave in 2 months and they’re trying to do what you said to do. You...
    02-12-2021, 08:16 AM
  • Section 21 - can tenant leave before two months notice is up
    by Seftonsefton
    Hi there

I recently gave notice via form 6a to my tenants with the two months notice being up on 15 January 2022.

I gave notice because I want to sell the flat in the middle of next year, but fully expected a protracted eviction because the tenants are unemployed and rely on...
    01-12-2021, 15:58 PM
Working...
X