6 month break clause Question??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month break clause Question??

I would really appreciate if anyone can help! I have entered into a 12 month AST with an awful tenant. Fortunately there is a break clause at 6 months by either party giving 1 months notice. I am confused as to whether this means notice at 5 months ie. they move out at 6 months. Or notice at 6 months and they move out at 7 months?? Last time I sign a 12 month agreement anyway!!!

The notice you give MUST be two months. Even with a break clause so either way its wrong. As I understand it if there is any ambiguity with regards to the dates its invalid.

Moral is, Don't sign a tenant up for 12 months!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
      The notice you give MUST be two months. Even with a break clause so either way its wrong. As I understand it if there is any ambiguity with regards to the dates its invalid.

Moral is, Don't sign a tenant up for 12 months!
      Thanks for that. I have defininitely learnt my lesson re. 12 month agreements! Still want to try and use break clause - if 2 months notice, my questions still stands - should this be given at 6 months so they are there minimum 8 months or can it be given at 4 months so they move out at 6 months?

Comment

Ok its Saturday and you could be hungover.... The answer was in my post. AS far as I am aware any ambiguity on the dates means that the break clause is invalid.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

I suggest you copy the exact wording of the break clause and let forum members see what it says.

Although JAS has suggested it's invalid doesn't mean you can't ASK your tenant to leave, but it might mean that if the tenant doesn't go you won't be able to enforce the move through the courts.

So stick up the clause as well as the date the tenancy started, see what people have to say on the exact wording, and take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            I suggest you copy the exact wording of the break clause and let forum members see what it says.

Although JAS has suggested it's invalid doesn't mean you can't ASK your tenant to leave, but it might mean that if the tenant doesn't go you won't be able to enforce the move through the courts.

So stick up the clause as well as the date the tenancy started, see what people have to say on the exact wording, and take it from there.
            Thanks. Exact wording is as follows : This agreement is for a fixed term of 12 months, however there is to be a break clause at 6 months for either party giving at least one month’s notice. Tenancy start date 1st December.

Comment

Originally posted by pkn70 View Post
              Thanks. Exact wording is as follows : This agreement is for a fixed term of 12 months, however there is to be a break clause at 6 months for either party giving at least one month’s notice. Tenancy start date 1st December.
              IF that's the only relevant wording, it seems to state (not too clearly!) that:
              a. either party can end letting;
              b. the break point is at six months from start;
              c. the at-least-one-month Notice can be served at any time (but, if served within the first five months, would not take effect until the six-month point).

However, I cannot be sure because:
              Query 1: What is meant by "there is TO BE A BREAK CLAUSE"? Does it mean "there is a right to break"?
              Query 2: What is meant by "FOR EITHER PARTY GIVING"? Does it mean that there is a right to break "which either party can exercise by giving"?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
                vpltd
                Hi,
                Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                (A residential let in England.)
                VPL.
                11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                jjlandlord
                You made a claim. You tell us.

It was claimed that a tenant may freely leave whenever he pleases once he has received a s.21notice. If that was indeed the case you can imagine the mess with all those precautionary notices....
                18-08-2017, 12:43 PM
              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                Wright76
                I totally agree, I was just trying to find any justification for claims that a tenant must serve notice in return of a section 21. It could never ever be demanded within the 2 month notice period, and in my opinion I agree it couldn't be demanded thereafter. But JJlandlord is adamant that requirement...
                18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
              • Lying tenant
                mazco
                We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
                In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
                18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                JK0
                Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
                18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
                It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
                That's the tenant's money.
                18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                mazco
                Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
                18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                And, of course, this....
                18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                jpkeates
                There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
                If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
                If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
                18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
              • Reply to Lying tenant
                JK0
                I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
                18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
              Working...
              X