Are three tenants jointly liable for whole rent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are three tenants jointly liable for whole rent?

I'm just about to let a large flat to 3 sharers. I want to ensure if one moves out the others are responsible to pay the whole of rent not just two thirds. If they sign one agreement with all their names on as opposed to three individual agreements am I covered in the event of one moving out ?
    I think that type of agreement is called tenant in common.
    Any advice appreciated thanks

you need an assured shorthold agreement which covers that tenants are jointly and severally liable.

Comment

So if they sign the usual Shorthold Assured tenancy agreement then they must ensure I get paid 100% of the whole rent each month even if one moves out y/n ?
      Is that whaty jointly & several means ?
      Thanks

Comment

Yes if they sign ONE agreement they must ensure between them that the rent is paid. Make this CRYSTAL clear to the tenants though as sometimes they miss that one.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

One more point, if I may butt in, can you use a standard AST as a 'joint and several' agreement and maybe add an extra clause or do you have to have a specially written one if it's for for more than one tenant?

Comment

most standard ast's will state that the tenants are responsible jointly and severally

Comment

If I might add a word of caution.

A joint tenancy cannot exist unless the following four unities exist:

AG Securities v Vaughan 1990

(1) Unity of Possession: Each co-owner must be entitled to possession of the whole land with the others. This does not mean that the co-owners must actually occupy the property. If one occupier moves out a joint tenancy will continue unaffected. It is to do with legal entitlements (which parliament can modify, e.g. domestic violence or under the Trust of the Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996) and not be de facto use.

(2) Unity of Interest: The interest of each tenant must be identical in extent, nature and duration. One cannot have a larger interest than another. No joint tenancy is possible between a freeholder and a leaseholder. Similarly, no single joint tenant can sell or lease the land because he does not have the whole legal estate.

(3) Unity of Title: All joint tenants must claim title under the same act or document, for example, by the same conveyance or by the same act of adverse possession.

(4) Unity of Time: The joint tenant’s interest must have been acquired at the same time.

In other words, if there are locks on the bed room doors, than there cannot be a joint tenancy, for there will be no unity of possession.
              It might be in your interest to have a deed of trust drawn up for it will matter not what the agreement is express to be.

Comment

bill: 'Unity of Possession' summary is almost right- but "possession" does NOT equate to "occupation". One can be in possession by:
                a. occupying; or
                b. receiving rents and profits.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                  Yes if they sign ONE agreement they must ensure between them that the rent is paid. Make this CRYSTAL clear to the tenants though as sometimes they miss that one.
                  This is an important point; unless you lay down the law, tenants can make wrong assumptions regarding their personal liability for rent. It makes it so much easier if you can provide a framework of action in advance of anything happening; eg the correct procedure when one of the tenants gives notice.
                  All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I posted a cautionary note for the benefit of the OP. Co-ownership can be a tricky subject, when you create a joint tenancy, you create de jure one person. That person must have exclusive possession of the whole of the property. If locks are fixed to bedroom ( which is quit common under such circumstances) doors, this would be sufficient to sever the joint tenancy and therefore joint and several liability.

Comment

Originally posted by bill65 View Post
                      I posted a cautionary note for the benefit of the OP. Co-ownership can be a tricky subject, when you create a joint tenancy, you create de jure one person. That person must have exclusive possession of the whole of the property. If locks are fixed to bedroom ( which is quit common under such circumstances) doors, this would be sufficient to sever the joint tenancy and therefore joint and several liability.
                      No. That reply confuses:
                      a. legal ownership; and
                      b. equitable (beneficial) ownership.

Legal ownership (by two or more) is ALWAYS joint. There is no other way to hold it. They become jointly and severally responsible for all obligations irrespective.

Equitable ownership can be joint ("beneficial joint tenants") or in common ("beneficial tenants in comon"). The tenancy obligations have nothing to do with equitable ownership; so lockable bedroom doors leave all obligations jointly and severally binding on all co-tenants.
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The bedrooms doors aren't lockable anyway - my future tenants are an engaged couple so I guess that won't be a problem for them.

Comment

...esoecially as lockable chastity belts seem to have lost popularity in recent centuries...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                            mandm
                            This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                            Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                            I served the...
                            21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                          • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                            mariner
                            It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
                            22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
                            JK0
                            I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
                            21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
                            mandm
                            Letter sent with the evidence attached.
                            Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
                            I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
                            21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                          • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                            Pickle135
                            Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
                            08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
                          • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                            Pickle135
                            Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
                            21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
                          • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                            scooter08
                            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                            England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                            AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                            12/04/2015
                            21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                          • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                            scooter08
                            Thanks for the reply jp....
                            21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                            jpkeates
                            Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                            21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                            scooter08
                            I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                            21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                          Working...
                          X