How attractive/unattractive a tenant am I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brogue
    started a topic How attractive/unattractive a tenant am I?

Hi! Just out of interest I was wondering if landlords could let me know how they would perceive me as a tenant if I wanted to rent a house from you?

As there are obviously things that may be of concern...what could I do in these circumstances to reassure you?

My partner and I have been renting for 6ish years and never had any problems, always paid rent on time and in full - left houses in excellent condition, always have been given back our full deposits etc. Good credit histories, Non smokers.

Now to the (potential) negatives, am about to graduate so won't have a job when we move - we do have guarentors and my parents will (very kindly!) help me out with rent until I find a job - good uni, good degree, good CV from pre-Uni jobs, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem (at the very least to find a job that covers rent until something "perfect" comes along). My partner works at the moment but as we'll be moving cities will give this up to find a new job in the city we're moving to. Also, we're about to aquire my brothers (very well behaved!) cats.

Any advice would be welcomed...

• heather5
    replied
    All the lettings agents I have ever dealt with - and I was once in your situation but different - have a thing about pets.

I came from 10 years overseas and though mature with money - needed a guarantor - that was my bro - and no problems there. So as long as you have a bonefide guarantor - you're okay.

But pets - in Bucks - anyone who brings in pets must have curtains, carpet and miscellaneous cleaned professionally by an approved person when handing over the property otherwise they'll be charged heavily.

It could be the cats that let you down!! Just be prepared for the costs on leaving.

Leave a comment:

• Brogue
    replied
    I think I'll deflea the cats for my own benefit apart from anything else as don't imagine living in a flea infested house would be much fun for me!

Thanks for your replies. Was concerned the mix of being an unemployed wastrel (even in the short term) and the cats would limit my options at lot more than it seems it will, so you've all set my mind at rest.

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    You might find you have additional requirements to meet, perhaps a slightly higher deposit or a requirement to cover the cost of professional carpet cleaning, or even defleaing the house if when you leave it turns out to be infested, so do make sure you treat your moggies for fleas regularly, to prevent a problem developing. Other than that, the fact that you've rented for several years and have a history of being a good tenant (as well as the guarantors) makes you much more attractive than someone with no renting history.

Leave a comment:

• Tori Bellatrix
    replied
    Originally posted by Brogue View Post
    Well that's reasurring! I'll just have to find a cat friendly landlord.
    If it helps, I've rented a number of times (mostly private but currently moving into a new property via an agent) and I've never had any problems taking my cats in to the properties.

Leave a comment:

• Brogue
    replied
    Well that's reasurring! I'll just have to find a cat friendly landlord.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
    I don't think any reasonable landlord would have much of a problem with you. If you have a guarantor, LL can always chase them for rent.

Others might disagree but I can't see any problem. Apart from the cats, possibly --- some LLs are strict about "no pets".
    Yes, I concur with all the above.

Leave a comment:

• pcwilkins
    replied
    Originally posted by Brogue View Post
    Post a picture of yourself and we'll have a vote.

Hi! Just out of interest I was wondering if landlords could let me know how they would perceive me as a tenant if I wanted to rent a house from you?
    I don't think any reasonable landlord would have much of a problem with you. If you have a guarantor, LL can always chase them for rent.

Others might disagree but I can't see any problem. Apart from the cats, possibly --- some LLs are strict about "no pets".

Peter

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
    buttons
    I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
    20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    KTC
    If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
    20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
  • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    koksy
    I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
    20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
  • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    leaseholder64
    The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
    20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
  • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    security2
    If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
    20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    Wannadonnadoodah
    May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
    20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    buttons
    This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
    20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    Wannadonnadoodah
    In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
    20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    buttons
    I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
    20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    KTC
    Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
    20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
Working...
X