Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting for a short period

Hi all

I am planning on selling one of properties in the early spring; it is currently tenanted, but my tenant has just told me she'll be leaving in October/November. Obviously that's a lousy time to put it on the market though. If I let it out to a new tenant under a 6-month AST, it could be July before I regain possession, which will miss the anticipated 'spring fever' of house buying; or I just leave it empty for 3 months and take the financial hit.

Is there some way of letting the house properly on a short-term basis for the three months?

What about if I advertised for and found a tenant wanting a short-term let; and we agreed verbally that (s)he would quit after 3 months, but set up the normal 6-month AST? I then take the risk that he won't leave after 3 months as agreed (which wouldn't be a calamity); and the tenant would have to risk I might decide to hold him to the full 6 months contract!

Would that be the only way of doing this, or is there a better, 'safer' way?! The daft thing about this is that I'm sure there are plenty of folk out there who would want a 3-month let.

You can create an AST for 3 months, you just wont be able to take court action for eviction untill 6 months are up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
      pdmalik
      Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
      23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
    • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
      wfd_property
      So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
      24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
    • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
      Manchesterlandlord
      hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
      24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
    • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
      wfd_property
      Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
      24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
      KTC
      "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
      24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      Jcg76
      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
      nukecad
      At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
      And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
      24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
      jpkeates
      Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
      Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
      Give them the deposit back and you're done....
      24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
    • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
      JP23
      Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
      23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
    • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
      jpkeates
      Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
      24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
    Working...
    X