Landlord and Bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    True. In that case, why not specify that this occupant is liable for equal proportion of outgoings (i.e. in equal shares with all other occupants)?
    That's an idea. Do you mean each T should pay their share to LL who would pay the company, or each T would pay their share to the company?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
      That's an idea. Do you mean each T should pay their share to LL who would pay the company, or each T would pay their share to the company?

Peter
      Depends on whom the company serves the demand.
      If L: L must pay and therefore needs an indemnity from occupant, so L can extract £££.
      If T: L not involved.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

What do most Landlords do about bills when they rent rooms? As you can see this is a lot of hassle I did this as i was not sure how to force individuals to take on the bills.

Comment

I got the impression shiny lived there too?? Or is that not the case!

If its an HMO then I would look at getting a DD for the bills at a fixed rate, say £30 per month. The Utility companies usually do this and review it annually. Therefore you can budget accordingly. CT is a set amount each year. You divy the lot between the total number of rooms and set the rent accordingly including bills. Then you can assess the rent each year when the bills are due for review.
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

I don't live there! I wanted to decouple the rent from the bills and as the bills are the same if we have 2 or 4 people and then can go up because of Council tax rises, or Gas/electric/Water rises or even usage its too many variables. Also if I do an all in there is no incentive to be careful with the usage. I am trying to help these tenants but it looks like I will have to pass it on to them. My worry is what if this causes problems but at least I am not then liable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
              28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
            • Renting rooms
              by Luke
              I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
              I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
              I do not intend to live at the property
              Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
              As its...
              28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
              28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by theartfullodger
              Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
              28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by Hudson01
              If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
              28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by jpkeates
              That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
              The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
              28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
            • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Piffy
              I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
              27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
              28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by DoricPixie
              I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
              28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
            Working...
            X