X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrey
    replied
    Behave, you lot!

BTW, you would only be able to use Skegland's formula where (b) is the time the carpets are renewed, not necessarily when the carpets got burnt. If they burnt the carpets when they (the carpets, silly!) were 2 years old and left the property when the carpets were 3 years old, having lived with burnt carpets for a year, then the example works as follows:

a) Cost of carpet = £500

b1) Actual age of existing carpet/item when the damage was incurred = 2 years

b2) Actual age of existing carpet/item at the end of the tenancy = 2 years

c) Average useful lifespan of carpet/ item = 10 years

d) Residual lifespan of carpet/ item calculated as c) less b2)= 7 years

e) Depreciation of value rate calculated as a) divided by c) = £50 a year

f) Reasonable apportionment cost to tenant calculated as d) times e) = £350

So you can see that the time when the damage occurred is actually irrelevant, it's when you replace the item that counts. And if you change the condition of items on the inventory DURING a tenancy, try to write to the tenants with details of any change. A change may be an improvement like replacing a carpet or damage you caused like scratching a door when installing a lock.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    ...and didn't Little Richard have Great Balls of Fire? Goodness, gracious- it sounds painful.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Stel View Post
    Smoke on the water Deep Purple Please!
    Fog/Smoke on the Tyne/Water; whatever!

Leave a comment:

• Stel
    replied
    Smoke on the water Deep Purple Please!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Skengland View Post
    ARLA recommends (sp??)
    Yes. Think "command", from same root- one c, two m.

Originally posted by Skengland View Post

Burn baby burn, Disco inferno (sorry couldn't resist, I blame Jeffrey)
    Yes.
    Crazy World of Arthur Brown: Fire, I'll teach you to burn.
    Bangles: Eternal flame.
    Lindisfarne: Smoke on the Water.

Leave a comment:

• Skengland
    replied
    ARLA recommends (sp??):

a) Cost of carpet = £500

b) Actual age of existing carpet/item = 2 years

c) Average useful lifespan of carpet/ item = 10 years

d) Residual lifespan of carpet/ item calculated as c) less b)= 8 years

e) Depreciation of value rate calculated as a) divided by c) = £50 a year

f) Reasonable apportionment cost to tenant calculated as d) times e) = £400

Burn baby burn, Disco inferno (sorry couldn't resist, I blame Jeffrey)

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    After all, it's Burns night...

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    And if they're in the habit of damaging carpets, then leave them with the burns - who's to say they won't just damage the new ones?

Leave a comment:

• billmccallum
    replied
    carpets

If the tenants are staying, why change the carpets??? If they were happy to cause the damage and live with it, why not let them.

As for wear & tear, you have said that you are depreciating, so that will give you the starting point to work out the current value, if you are depreciating at 20% for 5 years then after two years they will be worth 60% of the original cost. e.g £1000 now worth £600

If you decide to buy new carpets which cost more than the original £1000then you cant expect them to pay for the extra cost, that would come later if they caused more damage.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    (If staying) Tell T re the cost and ask whether he/she is content to leave damaged carpet in place (whilst T acknowledges respopnsibility for damage and that replacement cost will ultimately be deducted from deposit after a reasonable allowance for wear and tear).
    And in fact you can point out to T that the longer they stay, the less it will actually cost them... if they stayed in the property for as long as the effective lifetime of the original carpet, it wouldn't cost them anything at all.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Stel View Post
    Jeffrey a full explanation........
    http://www.shishapipe.net/
    Aha, the happy hookah...

Leave a comment:

• Stel
    replied
    Jeffrey a full explanation........
    http://www.shishapipe.net/

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by WILLOMAX View Post
    Apparently it is a 'Shisha'
    So why does Oxford English Dictionary website deny all knowledge of such a word?

Leave a comment:

• WILLOMAX
    replied
    Thank you for your wise words!

Leave a comment:

• pcwilkins
    replied
    Originally posted by WILLOMAX View Post
    In your experience is 10% per year for wear and tear acceptable?
    If you would normally expect a carpet to last 10 years, then 10% is exactly right. If you expect a carpet to last 50 years, then it would be 2%.

Peter

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Statutory declaration DPS
    by jpkeates
    The form needs to be signed by a solicitor (or notary) who’s checked your identity. But that’s it, from memory.
    17-05-2022, 07:27 AM
  • Statutory declaration DPS
    by Lash
    Does anyone have experience with DPS stat declaration? When returning the statutory declaration from to DPS is it just literally the form I am returning? Or, do I also send additional information at that time too? Many thanks...
    17-05-2022, 07:17 AM
  • Reply to S21 Abolition Query
    by Sol_1969
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I will follow your advice, let the tenancy become periodic and then serve a S13 notice with the rental increase. I will - out of politeness - give them notice beforehand so that the S13 does not come as a surprise.
    17-05-2022, 07:21 AM
  • S21 Abolition Query
    by Sol_1969
    Hi,

Now that it looks like that S21 will be abolished, can anyone hazard a guess what will happen to S21 notices that were issued before the abolition but have not yet been completed?

I have tenants who are 12 months through a 24-month contract. I would like to serve a S21...
    16-05-2022, 10:32 AM
    by DoricPixie
    How will the tenants fight tooth and nail against a rent increase? Either the tenancy agreement says how and when the rent can be increased in the tenancy agreement or once the tenancy becomes periodic you can use a Section 13 notice. The former the tenants have already agreed to so there's nothing...
    17-05-2022, 06:07 AM
    by Sol_1969
    Thank you for your responses, a bit of explanation. I bought the house with the tenants in situ and it was part of the agreement on purchase that they get a 24-month contract. They are paying well below the market rate for the area. I want to put the rent up at the end of the 24-month period. But this...
    17-05-2022, 05:45 AM
  • Reply to Sleeping joint landlord?
    by Mrs Mug
    Who's name is on your tenancy agreement? That is your landlord....
    17-05-2022, 05:42 AM
  • Sleeping joint landlord?
    by casual_reader
    Person A and Person B, two siblings, are unmortgaged owners of a freehold property as tenants-in-common.

Person A has permission from Person B to let the property. The tenants sign an agreement with Person A, to whom they pay rent. Person A also addresses all maintenance issues. The contract...
    16-05-2022, 06:34 AM
  • Reply to Advice Needed
    by Hudson01
    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
  • Advice Needed
    by Confused2022
    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
Working...
X