Carpets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpets

New to this game so any help and advice would be appreciated.
    Two student houses.
    Carpets in one house are one year old and now has two rooms with iron burns in them (one room a bad burn , the other 3 or 4 smaller burns).
    The second house the carpets are 2 yrs old and now has two rooms with burns from a sheesh? in them. (golf ball size burns)
    There were no faults with the carpets when ast started.
    Carpet fitter states that I need to replace the whole carpet as joins would not be acceptable due to colour and ruffing up. (Is that fair on the tenant?)
    Do I charge the tenant the whole cost of replacment (£1400.00) or do I deduct an amount as the carpets were not brand new when damaged and I have claimed depreciation over the years.
    I want to be fair but not out of pocket because of their stupidity.
    Thanks in advance.

A sheesh?
    Certainly the burns damage does not sound like fair wear and tear.
    Is existing T staying-on or leaving?
    (If staying) Tell T re the cost and ask whether he/she is content to leave damaged carpet in place (whilst T acknowledges respopnsibility for damage and that replacement cost will ultimately be deducted from deposit after a reasonable allowance for wear and tear).
    (If leaving) Tell T that replacement cost (after such allowance) will be deducted from deposit.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by WILLOMAX View Post
      Carpet fitter states that I need to replace the whole carpet as joins would not be acceptable due to colour and ruffing up.
      There's a surprise. Of course, carpet fitter might have an ulterior motive?

Do I charge the tenant the whole cost of replacment (£1400.00)
      No. You must take into account the fact that the carpets are now second hand and therefore not worth as much as a new carpet.

or do I deduct an amount as the carpets were not brand new when damaged and I have claimed depreciation over the years.
      Yes.

I want to be fair but not out of pocket because of their stupidity.
      You are going to be out of pocket if you buy new carpets. Why not go for second hand ones? Look for some offcuts? That might save a few £££. Or just tell the carpet fitter to replace the burnt bits and if he's not willing to because it would offend his eye (or wallet) then find a different carpet fitter who will do what you want, not what he wants.

Peter

Comment

Thank you for your comments.
        In your experience is 10% per year for wear and tear acceptable?
        Apparently it is a 'Shisha'

Comment

In your experience is 10% per year for wear and tear acceptable?
          If you would normally expect a carpet to last 10 years, then 10% is exactly right. If you expect a carpet to last 50 years, then it would be 2%.

Peter

Comment

Thank you for your wise words!

Comment

Apparently it is a 'Shisha'
              So why does Oxford English Dictionary website deny all knowledge of such a word?
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Jeffrey a full explanation........
                http://www.shishapipe.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Stel View Post
                  Jeffrey a full explanation........
                  http://www.shishapipe.net/
                  Aha, the happy hookah...

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    (If staying) Tell T re the cost and ask whether he/she is content to leave damaged carpet in place (whilst T acknowledges respopnsibility for damage and that replacement cost will ultimately be deducted from deposit after a reasonable allowance for wear and tear).
                    And in fact you can point out to T that the longer they stay, the less it will actually cost them... if they stayed in the property for as long as the effective lifetime of the original carpet, it wouldn't cost them anything at all.

Comment

carpets

If the tenants are staying, why change the carpets??? If they were happy to cause the damage and live with it, why not let them.

As for wear & tear, you have said that you are depreciating, so that will give you the starting point to work out the current value, if you are depreciating at 20% for 5 years then after two years they will be worth 60% of the original cost. e.g £1000 now worth £600

If you decide to buy new carpets which cost more than the original £1000then you cant expect them to pay for the extra cost, that would come later if they caused more damage.

Comment

And if they're in the habit of damaging carpets, then leave them with the burns - who's to say they won't just damage the new ones?

Comment

After all, it's Burns night...

Comment

ARLA recommends (sp??):

a) Cost of carpet = £500

b) Actual age of existing carpet/item = 2 years

c) Average useful lifespan of carpet/ item = 10 years

d) Residual lifespan of carpet/ item calculated as c) less b)= 8 years

e) Depreciation of value rate calculated as a) divided by c) = £50 a year

f) Reasonable apportionment cost to tenant calculated as d) times e) = £400

Burn baby burn, Disco inferno (sorry couldn't resist, I blame Jeffrey)

Comment

Originally posted by Skengland View Post
                              ARLA recommends (sp??)
                              Yes. Think "command", from same root- one c, two m.

Originally posted by Skengland View Post

Burn baby burn, Disco inferno (sorry couldn't resist, I blame Jeffrey)
                              Yes.
                              Crazy World of Arthur Brown: Fire, I'll teach you to burn.
                              Bangles: Eternal flame.
                              Lindisfarne: Smoke on the Water.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
                                JP23
                                We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                                26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                              • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
                                I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
                                26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
                              • Tenant application form
                                Elum
                                Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                                25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant application form
                                AndrewDod
                                You really need two forms.
                                a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
                                b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
                                25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                leaseholder64
                                I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
                                25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                              • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                Stybdmy
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
                                24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
                              • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                                KTC
                                If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
                                25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                bergerac
                                Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
                                25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
                              Working...
                              X