Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment of Utility Bills at the end of the tenancy

Hi,
    what is the general advice regarding payment of utility bills up to the last date of tenancy? Do you take meter readings on the last day and advise these to the utility companies to send the final bill to the tenant forwarding address? or do you hold something back from the deposit to cover the bills and send the balance of the deposit to the tenant?

Originally posted by nick4692 View Post
    Do you take meter readings on the last day and advise these to the utility companies to send the final bill to the tenant forwarding address?
    If the contract for provision of utilities is between the T and (e.g.) British Gas, you don't need to do anything. It's nothing to do with you.

or do you hold something back from the deposit to cover the bills and send the balance of the deposit to the tenant?
    No. See above.

If T does not pay his bills before moving, that's his problem and the utility companies' problem. Not yours.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
      If the contract for provision of utilities is between the T and (e.g.) British Gas, you don't need to do anything. It's nothing to do with you.
      Having said that it can be a PITA for the landlord to sort out if the tenant does abscond with unpaid utility bills, so I make it a condition of refunding the deposit that I have sight of receipts for the final bills. (You're not really supposed to though... I think if a tenant were to challenge it in court it would be deemed unfair; however the bills are always issued within a day or two of the end of the tenancy so it doesn't delay things and I don't see it as a problem).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        Having said that it can be a PITA for the landlord to sort out if the tenant does abscond with unpaid utility bills
        In what way? I would have thought that LL should just do nothing --- when new T arrives, he will simple tell provider that he's just moved in and doesn't know anything about the old T.

Just like when a person buys a house --- it's not their job to find out where the last owner went, surely?

Peter

Comment

I had a property once which I did not re-let once the tenant had left and it was left vacant for a number of months. There was an outstanding gas bill at the property which I didn't find out about until I went round one day and found a notice attached to the door from the utility company informing me they had gained entry and removed the meter. Obviously by this point the tenant was long gone and utility company wanted £600+ to reconnect the meter! As it turned out I ended up selling the property minus it's gas meter anyway.

Comment

We always take readings as soon as we get access to our property. There's usually a void period, so I ring the utility providers and reinstate myself as the bill-payer with bills sent to my home address. If I get a forwarding address from the T, I pass it on to them.

I haven't had any problems so far, with the utility companies trying to get the ex-t's bills from me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
              Sonofahod
              Hi There,

I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
              23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
            • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
              mariner
              Your information is severely deficient,
              Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
              You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
              Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
              24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
            • Attending Court - Advice Please
              Muzza
              Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
              12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
              Muzza
              Thank you, Ill take a look!
              24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
            • Broken Boiler
              andy967
              HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
              23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
            • Reply to Broken Boiler
              Muzza
              I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
              24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
            • Section 8 notice served, what next
              lakemk
              Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
              22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
            • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
              Muzza
              Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
              24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
            • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
              Dberry
              Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
              I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
              23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
            • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
              mariner
              T responsibility.
              24-01-2018, 02:13 AM
            Working...
            X