Tenant claims landlord submitted fake photos in court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant claims landlord submitted fake photos in court

I've come across a thread at the following site where the poster alleges that they lost their court case against their landlord for the return of their deposit.

They claim the landlord submitted photos they took of the property after it was handed back in a poor condition by the previous tenant and passed them off as being a result of her tenancy.

http://forums.gumtree.com/viewtopic.php?p=1888110

What are your thoughts on the landlord's behaviour? And her recommendation that tenants take photos at the beginning and end of their tenancy?

And would submitting false photos in court be a criminal offence?

Presumably if the photos are submitted to the court as 'genuine', they would be exhibits as part of a witness statement, and therefore it would consitute perjury?

Quite apart from the obvious moral issues, it seems an incredibly risky strategy on the part of the landlord -there must be a pretty high likelihood of being caught out, with all the legal consequences thereof?

Comment

In the latest post to that thread, the tenant says that the property did not have an inventory.

So if that's the case, it blows a hole in the consensus theory of this forum that No inventory=No deductions and that landlords will inevitably lose a court case if they withold a deposit from a tenant without having an inventory in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
        So if that's the case, it blows a hole in the consensus theory of this forum that No inventory=No deductions and that landlords will inevitably lose a court case if they withold a deposit from a tenant without having an inventory in place.
        Indeed. I have no personal experience either way, but I'm convinced that the above consensus has come about because certain apparently well-informed people have repeatedly stated on this forum extremely forcefully "No inventory=No deductions, under any circumstances, full stop" to the extent that it seems to have become gospel. I'll hold my hand up to having replied to posts here myself with the same advice, in the past.

In the real world it's down to interpretation of the facts on the day by the court and the individual judge, and as shown in the cited example, it seems anything can happen...

Comment

I am sure Jeffrey or Paul could point us in the direction of some case law of other that states Inventory must be produced.

On another note, had a call from a friend last night, water pouring from the attic, called emergency guy that LL gave her the number for when she moved in only to be told that the LL did not pay him to make emergency call outs and to turn the water off! .. This woman is tiny and disabled so to turn the water off would mean no heating in a house where the door frames don't fit! Anyway I told her to call guy back and get him out and deduct the fee from the rent! .. Now waiting for the fall out from that!
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
            JP23
            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
          • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
            HantsAgent
            Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
            21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
          • NTQ during fixed term?
            vpltd
            Hi,
            Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
            (A residential let in England.)
            VPL.
            11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
            jpkeates
            Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
            21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
          • End of student tenancy
            mkgirl
            Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
            20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
          • Reply to End of student tenancy
            jpkeates
            There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
            21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
          • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
            james99
            Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
            16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
          • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
            leaseholder64
            Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
            21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
            jjlandlord
            The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
            21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
          • Reply to End of student tenancy
            mkgirl
            Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
            21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
          Working...
          X