On what day should my section 21 Notice expire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On what day should my section 21 Notice expire?

Lease started on 10th of month.

When should the section 21 expire, is it 9th or 10th of month?

Section 21 Notice - end date

If the tenancy starts on the 10th the last day of a tenacy period is the 9th, that's the date AFTER which you require possession.
    If you are serving within the fixed term the notice does not necessarily need to specify a date - so long as it allows a full two months from the date of service.
    If you are serving with a statutory periodic tenancy you do then need to specify a date giving a minimum of 2 months up to the last day of a period.

Comment

But if you have taken a pro rata payment to change the rent date then it may be different. See a previous thread I posted it which Jeffrey kindly answered.

Comment

Originally posted by ah84 View Post
        But if you have taken a pro rata payment to change the rent date then it may be different. See a previous thread I posted it which Jeffrey kindly answered.
        I have since posted on that thread as I query this advice.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Editor View Post
          If the tenancy starts on the 10th the last day of a tenacy period is the 9th, that's the date AFTER which you require possession.
          If you are serving within the fixed term the notice does not necessarily need to specify a date - so long as it allows a full two months from the date of service.
          If you are serving with a statutory periodic tenancy you do then need to specify a date giving a minimum of 2 months up to the last day of a period.
          Hi,

We issued a sec21 notice to take possession of our property on the 11th April 08 when T's AST ends therefore giving approx 3 months notice would this be OK and stand up in court

Also which section21 should we have sent (a) or (b)

or

Would it not matter in this case.

Thanks

Comment

If s.21 Notice is served:
            a. DURING fixed term, use s.21(1)(b); or
            b. AFTER EXPIRY of fixed term, use s.21(4)(a).
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              If s.21 Notice is served:
              a. DURING fixed term, use s.21(1)(b); or
              b. AFTER EXPIRY of fixed term, use s.21(4)(a).
              Thanks Jeffrey, very much appreciated.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Editor View Post
                I have seen some AST's dated 10th to end on the 10th and not the 9th which I dont think is a prob as long as the s21(1)(b) 2 months notice ended no earlier than the 10th. I suppose it would just be classed as a 6 month and 1 day tenancy not a 6 month one.

Or am i wrong?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                  27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                  27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  BouwensPB
                  I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                  26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  Wright76
                  You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                  27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  theartfullodger
                  Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  purpleangel
                  Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                  26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  Wright76
                  Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Landlord Address
                  bsward
                  Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
                  27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to Landlord Address
                  theartfullodger
                  As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
                  https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
                  27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
                • Tenant's energy debt.
                  Gordonmrln
                  I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                  20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                Working...
                X