Where do I find a Private Landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately seeking private landlord

I'm looking to rent a flat or house in the Bedford area but I'm not having a lot of luck finding a private landlord. None of the letting agents in Bedford will accept pets or smokers and they want £1000 deposit! I've put up loads of "wanted" ads on websites but I'm not having much luck.
    If anyone has any ideas (or private rentals!) they'd be very gratefully received.

Comment

Hi there,

I'm new to this so sorry if I've missed the obvious! Someone mentioned finding tenants through this site. Is there a "wanted" section or did the tenants just post in this forum?

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry- there used to be a section on this site where you could advertise for free either "wanted" or "to let" but on trying to find the link for you, it seems to have disappeared- shame!

Comment

I wanted to ask the same question

Hello,no its not a silly question at all. I have been searching too for a private landlord. It amazes me that there isn't a site for things like this....or there maybe but I just haven't found it yet. I too have had trouble with letting agents, maybe its because i'm a single parent...I don't know!!! I will continue my search though, I found my last landlady of 5 years in the local paper but sadly its time to start anew in a new area. (If there are any landlords/ladies reading this I am looking for 2/3 house in or around Woking in surrey.) Good luck with your search, I hope you find somewhere soon.

Comment

Correct! Here in the midlands some agents will accept this including some very well established estate agents with lettings deprtments. They are usually ARLA and NEA registered and the partner in charge of this department invariably knows his business backwards. I find that by carefully negociating with these people agreement can be reached for a one off finders fee. It works well for me as I have to do nothing until I hear from the agent that a potential tenant has been found. This is then discussed and I make the decision as to whether he/she is acceptable. Tenant is then formally interviewed, credit checked, AST is signed, deposit and first month's rent is paid. Then I meet tenant at property and hand over keys. Subsequently I receive duly signed copy of AST, cheque and agent's account. Apart from arranging the safeguarding of the tenant's deposit, job done!

P.P.
            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by funky1 View Post
              2) landlords with private ads in your local papers tend to be more welcoming to pets than letting agents.
              I tend to stick an ad in the local paper, it's quite expensive - £30 for a couple of lines. But its always worked out for both me and tenant.

On the subject of pets. My last advert didn't say "no pets", partly because local rag charged ad by the word but also because I know it's tougher to rent out these days so I didn't want to exclude anybody.

At the end of the day last letting was to a dog owner. They did offer up a larger deposit (of cash!) and things have worked out well. In some ways it's an advantage to LL as there's less chance of a break in with a dogged house.

Comment

Yes many agents just charge for the Tenant Find Only option - in London they still tend to charge a % of the annual rent upfront - other areas it is one month's rent in advance etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X