Where do I find a Private Landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I find a Private Landlord?

This may seem like a strange question. My partner and I are looking for 2+ bedroom house to rent in the North East (we do have dogs). I have searched the Internet, placed ads on Classified/Gumtree and checked, and checked and checked the paper to no avail. We want to rent direct from a landlord as opposed to a letting agent. We have been stung by letting agents 3 times now. In the first instance the Letting Agent was keeping the rental money and not giving it to the Landlord, the second time the company went bust and we lost our deposit and the third time being 3 days late with rent (due to being away, already agreed by agent) the letting agent called my employer and parents (I'm 30)!!!

Is there anywhere I can search or advertise online? Any advise where to look from Landlords. Any help would be much appreciated

It is not the easiest thing in the world! Many landlords who self manage (like me) use agents to find us tenants. It is my experience that the business premises and reputation of a good letting agent tends to put off some tenants that we wouldn't like to rent our properties to. I pay my agents a one off fee for advertising, organising viewings, interviewing and credit checking a suitable tenant. Often the tenant is expected to pay a fee as well. I then take over, collect rent, lodge deposit and maintain property. It works for me - try to find a good agent who is an NEA or ARLA member. They should know their business and you are less likely to find yourself dealing with an unprofessional landlord as well. My agents certainly tell me of landlords who they will not work with for this reason.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

North East of where. England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland. There are plenty of Landlords on this site so tell us where you are looking for a property, you never know you may come up trumps. Regards Peter

Comment

I guess that it's the NE of England; Newcastle-upon-Tyne or thereabouts.
        Leo: you're not a football manager by any chance, are you?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          We have been stung by letting agents 3 times now. In the first instance the Letting Agent was keeping the rental money and not giving it to the Landlord, the second time the company went bust and we lost our deposit and the third time being 3 days late with rent (due to being away, already agreed by agent) the letting agent called my employer and parents (I'm 30)!!!
          Bear in mind that in the first case, it's (or should have been) the landlord's problem, not yours; in the second case, that these days deposits are protected by law; and in the third case - well, the agent was just an ass, wasn't he!

Is there anywhere I can search or advertise online? Any advise where to look from Landlords.
          I'd have thought definitely in the local paper... that's where I advertise anyway (I don't use agents). TBH, I don't even know where else I would advertise other than there. Of course it does depend on local circumstances... in my town, it's well known that the local rag is the place to look.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
            It is not the easiest thing in the world! Many landlords who self manage (like me) use agents to find us tenants. It is my experience that the business premises and reputation of a good letting agent tends to put off some tenants that we wouldn't like to rent our properties to. I pay my agents a one off fee for advertising, organising viewings, interviewing and credit checking a suitable tenant. Often the tenant is expected to pay a fee as well. I then take over, collect rent, lodge deposit and maintain property. It works for me - try to find a good agent who is an NEA or ARLA member. They should know their business and you are less likely to find yourself dealing with an unprofessional landlord as well. My agents certainly tell me of landlords who they will not work with for this reason.

P.P.
            A one-off fee, really? Who are these magical agents that do not demand a percentage of the weekly rent for the term of the contract??!

Comment

Originally posted by sibec View Post
              A one-off fee, really? Who are these magical agents that do not demand a percentage of the weekly rent for the term of the contract??!
              Who charges weekly rent anyway? Rent book is required: s.4 of LTA 1985. Avoid it by reserving monthly rent.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. I did not know that there were regulatory bodies for letting agents. I guess I have just been unlucky!!! I will have a look into agents under this cover. Although I am still a little nervous about using a letting agent.

I'm based in Sunderland Tyne and Wear. I'm looking for a 2 bed house in these postcode areas: DL11 DL12 DL13 DL15. (Enough of my advertising!!!)

Unfortuantly not a FootBall manager - I don't think anyone would get very far with my understanding of the offside rule!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Who charges weekly rent anyway? Rent book is required: s.4 of LTA 1985. Avoid it by reserving monthly rent.
                  Fair enough, we'll replace 'weekly' with 'monthly'. Lettings agents usually charge 8-12% of the rent for the term of the contract.

PP is saying he just pays a one-off and then has no more association with the lettings agency. I have not heard of such an agency, not here in London anyway. So I was just curious to hear from PP.

Comment

Lettings agents usually charge 8-12% of the rent for the term of the contract.
                    Only if they're managing the property. I think PP uses LA only to find tenants and pays a fixed fee per "find".

Peter

Comment

Where Do I Find A Landlord.

Like PP, I only use a Letting & Management Agency to find a new tenant for me - like you I have never yet been able to find an Agency that came up to scratch and so I self-manage my properties!

The Agency do the advertising, carry out the viewings with prospective tenants, help them to complete their Application Forms, make the necessary reference checks, before faxing all the paperwork to me for final approval.

They then prepare the Tenancy Agreement, take the Deposit and first month's rent and lastly, check the tenant into the property, handing over the keys, taking the meter readings etc.

I always try to be present at the Check In, so I can meet the tenant(s) for the first time, explain to them that I now take over the Management of the property from the Agency and give them my contact details.

I pay the Agency a fee equal to the first months rent, usually £300 - £350 plus Vat. for their services.

After some bitter and costly experiences in the past, I have found this is the system that works best for me.

Cornishman

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        This may seem like a strange question. My partner and I are looking for 2+ bedroom house to rent in the North East (we do have dogs). I have searched the Internet, placed ads on Classified/Gumtree and checked, and checked and checked the paper to no avail. We want to rent direct from a landlord as opposed to a letting agent. We have been stung by letting agents 3 times now. In the first instance the Letting Agent was keeping the rental money and not giving it to the Landlord, the second time the company went bust and we lost our deposit and the third time being 3 days late with rent (due to being away, already agreed by agent) the letting agent called my employer and parents (I'm 30)!!!

Is there anywhere I can search or advertise online? Any advise where to look from Landlords. Any help would be much appreciated
                        Hi Leo

It has always been hard for pet owners to find homes to rent. But things are changing for the better.

1) For starters you can search our site 'pet friendly rentals' it is FREE for you to search and it is FREE for landlords and agents to advertise.
                        2) landlords with private ads in your local papers tend to be more welcoming to pets than letting agents.
                        3) it is not always the landlord that is against pets, but the letting agent (they would prefer to deal with the perfect professional tenant) What do they mean??.
                        Things are changing, because it could be seen as discrimination if they can not give valid reasons why ' no children allowed, no pets allowed, only professional couples allowed'

dont give up looking, we are gradually getting in contact with letting agents and private landlords throughout the UK, who are only to happy to help us find properties for pet owners.

Good luck with your search

Comment

Leo, have you put a wanted ad on this site? That's where my tenants found me!

Comment

Unless im missing something i think the charge by an agent for the duration the tenant remains in the property is limited to London? In cheltenham where we operate we just charge a fixed fee of the first months rent only for a tenant finder and that is it! lol, oh to be in london! ive had tenants in properties for years!

Comment

I charge one-off for a let only service and its regardless of how long the contract is for. its normally a % of the first months rent. If their tenants stays for 6 years I dont get any more money (unless of course the L asks me to draw up another contact but then thats normally a nominal cost).

This is quite normal in my area.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X