Tenant paying fee for letting agents to find a letting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant paying fee for letting agents to find a letting

When looking for a new property we are told by the agent that there is a credit record/ checking fee of 100 pounds per person as well as a contract fee of 1 weeks rental. Is this the norm in this country and why do the new tenants pay the contract fees if they are charging the owner to let her property - seems like they makes fees everywhere, yet as have only been here a few months will accept that this is the case if it is.

Hmm.. sounds a bit steep to me - have you tried other agents?

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

A credit check costs less than £10 but most agents charge 'legal fees' for a contract. In my area, the fee is usually £40, charged to the tenant and landlord. Since the contract is standard, they only have to print one off and fill in new names and addresses. One of the many reasons I no longer use an agent. This one is trying it on, go elsewhere. Look for membership of a professional body, ARLA, RICS or similar (and check with the body that they really are members).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X