Difficult Landlord - Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult Landlord - Again

I previously wrote in about a difficult landlord and the situation keeps getting worse. He now sends letters in the post (including a stamp but not actually going through the postal system) some on a letterhead and the latest on his own company letterhead (he is a solicitor). We have in writing from the agent that we can vacate the property earlier and use the deposit paid as the last months rent. He now wants to force us to pay the rent as well as not return the deposit paid and and wants us to pay the 2 months left of the contract. He states that he will proceed with a County Court Order for possession of the property. We have also paid the water bill up todate for 9 months and as per agreement with him deducted it from the last rent. He now wants the 70 pounds paid back. I feel victimised by the man and he abuses the fact that I have only been in the country for a few months, and according to him know nothing. What recourse do I have as this will affect the ability to get a new lease so am I stuck here until the lease expires and still wont be able to get a new lease. Am I being difficult but not wanting to pay what I feel is a high price for sub-standard property (nothing works properly, and I have the pictures to prove it)

Brad you need to take action against this bloke, go to your Local Citizens Advice Bureau. Use the link below to find your nearest.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
      We have in writing from the agent that we can vacate the property earlier and use the deposit paid as the last months rent. He now wants to force us to pay the rent as well as not return the deposit paid and and wants us to pay the 2 months left of the contract.
      He'll have fun if he tries to enforce payment with you holding that letter.

He states that he will proceed with a County Court Order for possession of the property.
      This is easy enough to do so what's stopping him?
      What recourse do I have as this will affect the ability to get a new lease so am I stuck here until the lease expires and still wont be able to get a new lease. Am I being difficult but not wanting to pay what I feel is a high price for sub-standard property (nothing works properly, and I have the pictures to prove it)
      Let him serve a section 21, you can't stop him anyway but by the sound of it he doesn't want to. His attitude will affect you getting a new let if he is asked for a reference, there's nothing you can do about this but with your letter, you don't have to stay. As for the rent, you agreed it but if something essential does not work, you can have it repaired and withhold rent to pay (after informing the landlord). You can usually get 30 minutes free advice from a solicitor but most will not want to act against another solicitor. Contact CAB as Energise suggests but also, contact the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWoof
        He'll have fun if he tries to enforce payment with you holding that letter.

This is easy enough to do so what's stopping him?
        Let him serve a section 21, you can't stop him anyway but by the sound of it he doesn't want to. His attitude will affect you getting a new let if he is asked for a reference, there's nothing you can do about this but with your letter, you don't have to stay.
        Good advice. But bear in mind brad that if he gives you a bad reference with patently false information, he will be breaking libel laws!
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

contact the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors.
          Good advice. I get really annoyed with these solicitors trying to intimidate people with their self-importance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X