New letting- is Inventory required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    If you don't mind my saying, that is rather odd advice. Either the LL himself or the LA (assuming reasonable level of competence!) are perfectly able to carry out a check in or check-out inventory, preferably with the tenant in attendance.

The fact that they (LL and LA) have a contract with each other is immaterial since the inventory must be agreed and signed by the tenant(s) as a fair and full record of the state of the property and its contents at the commencement/end of the tenancy. An inventory clerk would have a contract with the LL too, wouldn't they - it is no absolute guarantee of neutrality. This is academic, anyway. If LA tried to misrepresent the property in the inventory, T would not sign it, would they?

Private inventory clerks can be employed, but it it entirely up to the LL who does it.

It matters more that the inventory is very thorough, mentions absolutely everything including decoration and state of doors, windows, etc, than whether it is done by a privately employed clerk. Photographic evidence is easy to collect and also very useful in case of future disputes. T needs to agree that, too.

I thought that we are talking about inventory list, not the check in/ check out. I am still in favour of detailed inventories prepared by the professional rather than DIY- as you said, the check in can be done between the LL and TT or their own inventory clerks.

Comment

professionally prepared inventory is an investment and can be re-used for future tenancies providing that no major alterations have been made to the property.

Comment

Originally posted by MSB View Post
        I thought that we are talking about inventory list, not the check in/ check out. I am still in favour of detailed inventories prepared by the professional rather than DIY- as you said, the check in can be done between the LL and TT or their own inventory clerks.
        Agreed, although there is a very decent proforma available free on LLZ for any LL who wishes to compile their own. For an averaged furnished property I reckon it will take no more than 90 mins; it's not rocket science and I think £75 is a bit steep, for a clerical task, to be honest. LL will have to go through the property with the list himself anyway, to check everything is included.

The other option is to get one done by a clerk (I won't say 'professionally' done because that is nonsense!) and use it/amend it year after year.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

[QUOTE=mind the gap;122264]For an averaged furnished property I reckon it will take no more than 90 mins; it's not rocket science and I think £75 is a bit steep, for a clerical task, to be honest. QUOTE]

£75.00 is cheap for a furnished property, average say half an hour to drive there and park, minimum of an hour transcribing property, opening cupboards/kitchen drawers etc.

Locate gas and electric meters take readings and for good measure place a newspaper next to meters and take a photo.

Type up and print of two copies, say an hour. So if all goes fine 3 hours, take the price of transport/insurance and being self employed and the fact it's very rarely constant work (everybodys always in a rush/things are also not ready) then £75 is cheap unless your one of these £30.00 a day is ok for a manual labourer persons.
          "Better an empty property than a tenant without a guarantor"

Comment

[QUOTE=Sportingdad;122288]
            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            For an averaged furnished property I reckon it will take no more than 90 mins; it's not rocket science and I think £75 is a bit steep, for a clerical task, to be honest. QUOTE]

£75.00 is cheap for a furnished property, average say half an hour to drive there and park, minimum of an hour transcribing property, opening cupboards/kitchen drawers etc.

Locate gas and electric meters take readings and for good measure place a newspaper next to meters and take a photo.

Type up and print of two copies, say an hour. So if all goes fine 3 hours, take the price of transport/insurance and being self employed and the fact it's very rarely constant work (everybodys always in a rush/things are also not ready) then £75 is cheap unless your one of these £30.00 a day is ok for a manual labourer persons.
            Driving there and parking time is irrelevant. Most people have to travel somewhere to do their job and they don't charge clients for it. If clerks cannot make a living from it, i.e. if they can only get one or two per week to do, then tough. They will have to combine it with another job. It's not a skilled occupation. Anyone who can identify the objects in a house, recognise scratches when they see them and has basic literacy and ICT skills, can do it.

If you start with a detailed proforma which you save electronically, it will only need amending/tweaking, not typing up from scratch.

It takes all of 5 minutes to take and photograph the meter readings.

All in all, a couple of hour's work max and it is on a par, in terms of skills, with low-skilled clerical work. This does not normally command £30-£35 per hour.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

P.S
              Its unfurnished.

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
                P.S
                Its unfurnished.

Well, in that case, £75 is way over the top! Tell me where it is and I'll do it for you for a tenner.

Comment

I might take you up on that

Comment

Inventory

I believe that now the TDS is here, it is essential that a inventory is done. Does the inventory have to be done by a company? or can the landlord do their own and give it to the agent?
                    Also if there was a despite at the end of the tenancy, would a landlords own inventory stand up in court as well as a company one?
                    I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by boredbird View Post
                      I believe that now the TDS is here, it is essential that a inventory is done. Does the inventory have to be done by a company? or can the landlord do their own and give it to the agent?
                      Also if there was a despite at the end of the tenancy, would a landlords own inventory stand up in court as well as a company one?
                      I think the most important thing is that the inventory is comprehensive, whether done by LL or clerk.

An inventory company is more likely to deliver on that, but that said, I've seen some shockers from companies. The one on the property I've just moved into was done by a company, but is so bad that I could pinch half the stuff in the flat and get away with it.
                      Now signature free.

Comment

My Inventory was

Carpets to the stairs and upstairs plus fitted kitchen

but after vacating Landlord wants 800 quid for marks to 1 of his B&Q worktops?

Comment

Originally posted by hairyb View Post
                          My Inventory was

Carpets to the stairs and upstairs plus fitted kitchen

but after vacating Landlord wants 800 quid for marks to 1 of his B&Q worktops?
                          LOL some LL want it all, go back to him and say "no mention of worktops on inventory" !!!!!lol
                          I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X