Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professonal Tenant. The whole story

Dear all,

I,m really writing this in the hope that my experience might serve as a warning to inexperienced landlords, as I have been screwed by a real crook.

To cut a long story short, I advertised my flat privately in the local paper in May as the local agents were not sucessful in finding a suitable tenant.
    I had a call from a chap who urgently needed somewhere to live as he had been gazumptd on his house purchase and had to leave his old adress.

He gave me a cheque for 6 months rent in advance and I gave him the keys.

6 months later, I,ve had 5 bad cheques, 3 bogus bank transfers and a big solicitors bill to get rid of him.

We evicted him last week, and have since found out he has been using a false name for all of his utility and phone bills/council tax. He also broke into the mailbox after he left, no doubt trying to stop us getting his mail.

I have engaged a firm of debt collectors who I,m very impressed with, but this guy is a slippery as a wet fish.No doubt he,s done this before. They will also be going to the police, as he has really angered them with his continual lies. Hopefully, he will be living rent free in the nick in due course.

Can anyone advise me if there is anything else I can do to make life difficult for this guy, and perhaps get my money back? I have no idea if he has any money or not. He clearly had no intention to pay right from the start.

My big mistakes were to give him the keys before his cheque cleared, not to check his ID and not to check references. These crooks obviously go through the private ads looking for suckers like me, as they know that professional agents would spot them out very quickly.

A warning to all,

rgs

BW

an idea - maybe a good one

I did wonder about whether we could set up a "Landlord's information exchange." Bad tenants move on and are
    a) hard to trace
    b) never give us the opportunity we would like to give future landlords proper warning and a fair reference on them.

We could solve both these problems by having a website where landlords could publish factual details of tenants they have had. I suspect the problem is that unscrupulous posters could put up libellous information which could lead to the owner of the website getting sued.

Perhaps it would simply be
    name and description of tenant
    dates and addresses/areas rented
    poster's interest - either offering reference on tenant/trying to trace
    contact details (e-mail/mobile) of former landlord if you want to contact the poster direct.

Then landlords could search the site to see if a prospective tenant was listed and then make contact with former landlords.

To make it pay the website could charge 50p or a £1 for new landlords to access each former landlord's details.

Or maybe its the former landlords that would like to pay to find out where the former tenants are now living.

Is this a good idea ?
    Anybody care to help make this happen ?

Comment

Originally posted by MDM View Post
      I did wonder about whether we could set up a "Landlord's information exchange." Bad tenants move on and are
      a) hard to trace
      b) never give us the opportunity we would like to give future landlords proper warning and a fair reference on them.

We could solve both these problems by having a website where landlords could publish factual details of tenants they have had. I suspect the problem is that unscrupulous posters could put up libellous information which could lead to the owner of the website getting sued.

Perhaps it would simply be
      name and description of tenant
      dates and addresses/areas rented
      poster's interest - either offering reference on tenant/trying to trace
      contact details (e-mail/mobile) of former landlord if you want to contact the poster direct.

Then landlords could search the site to see if a prospective tenant was listed and then make contact with former landlords.

To make it pay the website could charge 50p or a £1 for new landlords to access each former landlord's details.

Or maybe its the former landlords that would like to pay to find out where the former tenants are now living.

Is this a good idea ?
      Anybody care to help make this happen ?
      This has been discussed before and I agree that it is a good idea.
      Although I think I am right in saying that someone tried this and it failed as no one added any tenants details.

Comment

Holdenhurst, I had a similar tenant last year. He now has a CCJ against him but has managed to rent out again. Just out of curiosity, did you carry out a credit check on your tenant?

If he is self-employed and doesn't own anything then I don't think you can do much but hope in the next six years he acquires some assets. Your debt collectors will probably try to keep tabs on him.

Comment

We could solve both these problems by having a website where landlords could publish factual details of tenants they have had.
          What "factual details" would you include? "I had a bad tenant who was about 5'6" tall with brown hair and glasses"?

Originally posted by MDM View Post
          Is this a good idea ?
          In theory, yes. In practice, no, because the real professionals will use false names anyway, so it won't be any help.

Nice idea, though. Perhaps a similar website could be set up in parallel to allow tenants to search for "bad landlords"?

Peter

Comment

I would be concerned that a bad tenant could be party to any details we share. My above-mentioned tenant was very violent and knows where I live!

Comment

I have to agree. I am a new LL and advertised my house in the local paper. All those hoping to avoid the estate agent credit checks came out the wood work assuming I would just look at them and agree. I got wise quickly and told people on the phone before viewing that I would be doing the same checks an EA would inc credit checking which started to weed out those who would likely not have passed and saved me time and money.

Belinda

Comment

I have engaged a firm of debt collectors who I,m very impressed with
                Could you tell me which company it is and if you know if they are national as I think we're probably going to have to engage one. Thanks

Comment

They are called Laskers.

You will find them by using Google.

Good luck

rgs

BW

Comment

They are called Laskers.

You will find them by using Google.

Good luck
                    thanks, I'll do that

Comment

Half of me is thinking that dodgy Ts make it hard for the honest lot. The other half thinks for f*cks sake you are renting out a £££s property and can't afford the pay the mortagage without the rent..get proper checks.

I've had to provide refs. from old LL, letter from boss, payslips for six months and £2k upfront...

Comment

I agree with you on both points.

Never again will I be suckered like this, but I,m sure this crook has now moved on to a new mug and will do it all over again, as he has no doubt done it before.

However, I will not let this go and will take it up with the police as he has not only cheated me, but has defrauded the gas/electricity/council/phone companies and who knows who else. One reason why these people get away with it is that people give up chasing them. Not me,

Rgs

BW

Comment

I think its a brilliant idea, its is done in Australia. I think that we would struggle in UK with privacy and human rights. All information kept by different associations, should, be kept secure, except for the goverment, and they seem to have a law unto themselves.
                          Data protection is very complex, and lthough hopefully most people would use it properly, there is always some to spoil it.
                          I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Comment

hi & really sorry to hear about all this but at least you have your property back & you are unharmed.

To any sympathiser (I am sure there are) it´s worth noting that all good payers are subsidising these scammers. The utilities bad debts are paid for by everyone else.

I was nearly scammed once by a v plausible family (basically they would do anything to get the property keys, then they would all move in & stay there rent free).

Happy Christmas all

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                              by Hudson01
                              I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                              16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
                            • Advice Needed
                              by Confused2022
                              Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                              15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
                            • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                              by Hudson01
                              I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                              16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                            • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                              by Laurasplog
                              We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                              by theartfullodger
                              What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                              16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                              by Laurasplog
                              The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                              16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                              by Laurasplog
                              The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                              16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
                            • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                              by theartfullodger
                              In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                              16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
                            Working...
                            X