Housing Act 1988 amended 1977 Act- Notice to Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing Act 1988 amended 1977 Act- Notice to Quit?

As far as I can see in the housing act it states that notice
    (a) it is in writing and contains such information as may be prescribed, and
    (b) it is given not less than 4 weeks before the date on which it is to take effect.

My LA is saying that if I give notice 'today' (14th) i'm liable for rent until 9th of February as I normally pay my rent on the 10th.
    I have the chance of a new house but I can't see the LL keeping it until then for me.
    Could someone clarify this for me please?
    I was under the impression that a months notice would suffice. It doesn't state in the housing act anywhere that notice HAS to end on the anniversary of the payment date.
    Unless someone can point me in the right direction in the Act!!

Originally posted by Willo View Post
    As far as I can see in the housing act it states that notice
    (b) it is given not less than 4 weeks before the date on which it is to take effect.

My LA is saying that if I give notice 'today' (14th) i'm liable for rent until 9th of February as I normally pay my rent on the 10th.
    I have the chance of a new house but I can't see the LL keeping it until then for me.
    Could someone clarify this for me please?
    I was under the impression that a months notice would suffice. It doesn't state in the housing act anywhere that notice HAS to end on the anniversary of the payment date.
    Unless someone can point me in the right direction in the Act!!
    More details please. Which Act, and re what (AST or something else)?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Sorry Housing Act 1988

I read this:-
      Notice to quit etc (1) In section 5 of the 1977 Act (validity of notices to quit) at the beginning of subsection (1) there shall be inserted the words “Subject to subsection (1B) below”.
      (2) After subsection (1) of that section there shall be inserted the following subsections—
      “(1A) Subject to subsection (1B) below, no notice by a licensor or a licensee to determine a periodic licence to occupy premises as a dwelling (whether the licence was granted before or after the passing of this Act) shall be valid unless—

(1B) Nothing in subsection (1) or subsection (1A) above applies to—
      (a) premises let on an excluded tenancy which is entered into on or after the date on which the Housing Act 1988 came into force unless it is entered into pursuant to a contract made before that date; or
      (b) premises occupied under an excluded licence.”

Initial agreement finished in August, now periodic.

Comment

I found this helpful: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/notice_to_quit.htm

It runs from one rent period to the next, generally one month.

Comment

Ah, but s.5 of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 relates ONLY to the validity of Notices to Quit.
          Notices under s.8 or s.21 of Housing Act 1988 are NOT "Notices to Quit".
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

yes but my argument with the LA is that i can't find anywhere in any act that i have to give notice on or from a rent day??

Comment

yes but my argument with the LA is that i can't find anywhere in any act that i have to give notice on or from a rent day??
              1. On what date did tenancy begin?
              2. For what term was it granted?
              3. If term has expired, tenancy may continue.
              4. On what date is rent payable, according to Tenancy?
              5. What Notices (if any) have you received from L or Agent?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                1. On what date did tenancy begin?
                2. For what term was it granted?
                3. If term has expired, tenancy may continue.
                4. On what date is rent payable, according to Tenancy?
                5. What Notices (if any) have you received from L or Agent?
                1. 10thFeb 2007
                2. 6 Months
                4. the 10th
                5. No notices

Comment

1. 10thFeb 2007
                  2. 6 Months
                  4. the 10th
                  5. No notices
                  So the fixed term expired on 9 August. Next day (10 August) was day 1 of a monthly periodic tenancy, and each 10th of month is another.

As T, you can end this indefinite arrangement. You need to give at least one month's Notice to L. Best practice is that your Notice should end at the end of a tenancy month (i.e. that you serve a written Notice at any time between now and 9 January 2008, to take effect at the end of 9 February 2008). This seems to be what L requires.

There is another view, holding that your Notice does not need to be aligned with a tenancy month-end and could take effect one month from service (no matter what day). This seems to be your preference in post #1.

Comment

There is another view, holding that your Notice does not need to be aligned with a tenancy month-end and could take effect one month from service (no matter what day). This seems to be your preference in post #1.
                    Yes Jeffrey, that is exactly what i am wanting to do.
                    I want to give notice today or tomorrow to move out on the 14th or 15th January
                    LA is saying I can't give notice until the 10th of next month now!!

I'm going to lose this new house if I can't move in until Feb 14th or 15th.

Comment

My question is where does it state in any of the Housing Acts that the Agent can say this?
                      Agent has now said they will withhold my deposit to cover the rent up until they 'say' I should give notice to!!

Comment

The reasoning is thus:

You are on a periodic tenancy...every month the tenancy renews for a further month. You are required to pay for the whole month in advance , as per agreement. Unless LL agrees, you simply cannot change the length of the period at will, it is a month and that is that. In the same way you cannot pour out half a pint from a 1 pint milk carton in sainsburies, unless you speak to the manager first and he will say no anyway.

If you pay weekly, then the notice is usually 4 weeks. The period is one week. You cannot end halfway through the week.

You can still move into new flat; you will just have to agree to pay for 2 rents at once. Sorry.
                        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thanks Bel
                          but what about jeffrey's comment

There is another view, holding that your Notice does not need to be aligned with a tenancy month-end and could take effect one month from service (no matter what day).

Comment

Jeffrey was mentioning what others think; he passed no judgement on the merits of that thought.

I agree sometimes wording is ambiguous regarding what is one months notice; but you will find that most sources/books say it should end at the end of the period.

(Passing thought; Are you sure you were not served a section 21 notice at the start of your tenancy? Some agents do this routinely. If so you could leave when you like.)
                            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

ok i've found this line at the start of my agreement

This agreement creates an Assured Shorthold Tenancy as defined by section 19A of the housing Act 1988 as amended by the housing Act 1996. The Landlord will therefore be entitled to recovery of posession of the premises in accordance with the provisions of Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 (1996) by serving upon the Tenant at least 2 months notice in writing.

I'm guessing then that S21 HAS been served alongside the initial agreement.

Can you explain why this means I can leave when I like please and could you suggest some wording I could put in my notice?

I'd be forever grateful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                                02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                              • End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                                01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                                Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                                02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                              • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                                24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                                02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by Section20z
                                The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                                02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                              • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by meehr
                                For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                                01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                                by leasee123
                                But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                                02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                                by jpucng62
                                Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                                02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                              • who's repsponsibility
                                by madmaxwell
                                Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
                                02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
                              Working...
                              X