Can accompanying letter make s.21 Notice invalid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can accompanying letter make s.21 Notice invalid?

Hi

I've just started a new tenacy and surprise surprise within 5 days I have received an S21 from the agency The letter with it says:

"This notice confirms the current end date of your current Tenancy Agreement but does not necessarily mean the Tenancy Agreement will / will not be extended"

Doesn't this statement make the S21 invalid? Can they really send me a notice requiring prossession but attach a letter saying I may or may not be able to stay? Plus isn't telling me that it just "confirms the current end date" a tad underplaying it and misleading to people who don't know better??? Arghhh, I hate agents that dish out S21s willy nilly.

Originally posted by Tenantzone View Post
    "This notice confirms the current end date of your current Tenancy Agreement but does not necessarily mean the Tenancy Agreement will / will not be extended"
    1. "This notice confirms the current end date of your current Tenancy Agreement"
    Besides using 'current' twice, with consequent confusion, the wording is wrong. A s.21 Notice is not there to 'confirm' any such thing; it tells T on what date L is entitled to vacant possession.

2. "...but does not necessarily mean [that] the Tenancy Agreement will/will not be extended"
    This is itself meaningless: double negation, confusing oblique mark, and - as the Tenancy Agreement must be either extended or not extended- the Notice MUST 'necessarily' mean one or the other!
    What on earth did the Agency intend? Perhaps it meant "...but leaves open the possibility of extending the tenancy after the fixed term expires", although that's not what it says.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Simple answer - yes it does invalidate the notice, as the notice must be served with full intention of carrying it out.
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Thanks guys, as I thought. Is there anything I could / should do about this?

The one year tenancy also has a break clause requiring myself or the LL to give 6 weeks notice after the first 6 months. Doesn't a LL have to give 2 months notice?

Comment

Originally posted by MrShed View Post
          Simple answer - yes it does invalidate the notice, as the notice must be served with full intention of carrying it out.
          I disagree on reason for invalidation. L's intention is not a legal requirement, provided that the Notice complies with s.21.
          HOWEVER, I do think it invalid by reason of uncertainty- see my prior post.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

The one year tenancy also has a break clause requiring myself or the LL to give 6 weeks notice after the first 6 months. Doesn't a LL have to give 2 months notice?
            Yes and no.
            The two-month notice requirement arises under s.21 Notice from L. It cannot operate until end of term at earliest- even if valid.
            L CAN use contractual break clause, alternatively. In that case, six weeks' notice is what L would need to give.

Comment

I disagree Jeffrey, but cannot remember what bit of the statutes it was in - it does explicitly state it somewhere - I think!
              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Thanks guys, as I thought. Is there anything I could / should do about this?
                Absolutely, you should contact the agency immediately and notify them that their S21 is not valid, so if they ever want to enforce it on you the judge will throw it out, so please can they send you a new and valid one?

Alternatively, maybe you should just keep schtum.

Comment

I knew the Sword of Damocles method of serving S21 notices was fairly common but this is the first time I've come across an agent stupid enough to put the hint the S21 may not be meant in writing! It's priceless.

As for what to do, write a complaint to Shelter and your MP as you are one of the few fortunate to have written proof of this practise. Normally the hint is done verbally so the tenant is left without proof that they were denied proper notice.

Make sure you keep the letter safe!

Ironically the agent's tricks have left the landlord worse off than if he served notice properly when he eventually decides he actually wants you to leave as trying to use an invalid notice will just waste time.

Brilliant Ericthelobster:
                  ~~~~~

Comment

Jeffrey I KNEW I had it somewhere!!!

I would like to quote Paul F:

A S.21 Notice MUST be "unequivocal" and "without reservation" i.e. unconditional, so as soon as you start entering into negotiations about a further tenancy, or conditional withdrawal of the Notice then you are effectively withdrawing it anyway. The tenant might use the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 to defend a S.21 Notice in that the landlord can't say "I want possession" and then on the other hand say "but I might not"

Comment

Jeffrey I KNEW I had it somewhere!!!

I would like to quote Paul F:
                      But did Paul cite any authority source for implying all this "unconditional intention" stuff?

Comment

I think not doing so could constitute harrassment under the Protection from Eviction act. This was certainly Pauls argument.

Comment

...not doing so could constitute harrassment under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977...
                          I doubt it. That Act is targeted at L unlawfully depriving T of a right to lawful occupation. Serving a s.21 Notice, even if the Notice is unclear, cannot breach the 1977 Act.

Comment

I agree it is not clear cut. The argument is that leaving a Section 21 notice hanging over someones head for a prolonged period of time in effect erodes the rights of the tenant, as it removes the right to receive 2 months notice. This is the basis. I fully agree that you could be 100% correct, or on the flip side myself and Paul could be - we will never know until it is tested in court. I shouldnt have stated my point quite so catergorically

Comment

I agree it is not clear cut. The argument is that leaving a Section 21 notice hanging over someones head for a prolonged period of time in effect erodes the rights of the tenant, as it removes the right to receive 2 months notice. This is the basis. I fully agree that you could be 100% correct, or on the flip side myself and Paul could be - we will never know until it is tested in court. I shouldnt have stated my point quite so catergorically
                              Of course a s.21 Notice erodes T's rights. That is its entire [lawful] purpose.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                                by jpkeates
                                Document everything you've done and your efforts to contact the tenants.
                                I'd store the possessions for a couple of months before binning them....
                                22-09-2020, 15:55 PM
                              • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                                by MR M
                                The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                                16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                              • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                                by jpkeates
                                Most landlords won't qualify to be able to use Direct Debits.
                                You have to be an approved member of the scheme and most businesses are too small to qualify.
                                Last time I was involved in setting one up, the business needed to be turning over £1m (or was expecting to and could persuade a bank...
                                22-09-2020, 15:53 PM
                              • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                                by danwestgarth
                                Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
                                22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
                              • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                                by gnvqsos
                                Why object to exterior redecoration-surely this is quiet and non-invasive?There seems to be most of the work done-now you can sit back and enjoy the improved house.Most people seem to complain because the landlord does too little.
                                22-09-2020, 15:51 PM
                              • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                                by thesleepingdog
                                Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                                22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                                by DPT57
                                Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                                22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
                              • Rent Rises in 2020
                                by jpucng62
                                I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                                19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                              • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                                by jpucng62
                                Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                                22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                                by MR M
                                I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                                22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X