How Long To Keep Tenants Possessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long To Keep Tenants Possessions

Can anyone tell me how long a landlord must hold onto a tenants possessions after a bailiff has evicted them. I'm sure I've read on here that it is 3 months? Is this timescale laid down in law somewhere??

Originally posted by settloe_99 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how long a landlord must hold onto a tenants possessions after a bailiff has evicted them. I'm sure I've read on here that it is 3 months? Is this timescale laid down in law somewhere??
    1. Start with the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. It replaced the Disposal of Uncollected Goods Act 1952.

2. Section 12 of the 1977 Act is (with Schedule 1) authority for a bailee B- i.e. generally, almost anyone holding goods on behalf of their owner O- to dispose of them if O refuses to take delivery (if obliged to do so) or is uncontactable for purpose of arranging delivery.

3. If B notifies O (or took reasonable steps to contact him but failed), B can sell them. The proceeds (less sale costs) still belong to O.

4. The Notice from B to O- by hand or post- has to give O the details laid out in the Schedule and a reasonable period [not specified*] to arrange collection before B can proceed and sell.
    *: BUT if O owes money to B at the time, that period must be at least three months: para. 6(4) of Schedule.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

starlettings: is your post of any real or constructive use to anyone, please?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I just hope starlettings is not the same as www.starlettings.com...I'm sure it can't be really.

Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X