Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent increase; Housing Benefit insufficient

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could answer my dilemma?
    I have a 3 bed terr which I had been renting out to two guys cheaply at £585 pcm. 1 moved out and the other wanted to stay. He has always been a bit late with the rent due to long standing student debt and a limited bank account but has always eventually paid.
    This Spring, his ex partner who has a history of illness, became ill, so he had to give up his job, go on benefits a look after their 2 children. H/B pay £475 every 4 weeks and he has always topped up.
    He now looks after the kids one week on and one week off but there is a possibility it may become permanent.
    From 1-10-07, I increased the rent to £650 pcm after last January installing new gas C/H , new doors and windows . I sent him a rental increase letter on 1-08-10 after having a f2f with him about the situation. He's a thoroughly pleasant guy and we have a good working relationship.
    This is the but-sorry it took so long-H/B will not increase the amount they pay and he says he cannot afford to top up with the weekly £40.38.
    Could anyone who had been in this situation give me some advice or offer a solution as I do not want to get rid of him because of his children but I also do not want to subsidize him?
    Thanks.

Firstly, is your rent increase legal? Did you just send a letter or did you use the S13 notice?? If you didn't do it right, then the tenant can ignore any increase imposed until you do it the right way OR issue a fresh contract which is signed by both parties.

Ask tenant to request that HB review the amount they pay - next in line if that fails is a formal appeal. If your rent is not excessive, then one or the other might bring about the desired result, or at least lessen the gap between HB and the lawful contractual rent.

If both fail, then you are either going to have to reduce the rent or find another tenant.

Comment

Does the OP also have to consider any impact from the transition from HB to Local Housing Allowance from 7 April, 2008?

I don't have much of an understanding on it, apart from that most tenants will receive the payment directly, instead of the Landlord, and that it's supposed to promote choice and personal responsibility on the part of the tenant.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit/lha/

Will it affect the current rental rates? In other words, can the more experienced posters confirm if there will be new LHA rates set next spring?

Comment

Hi,
        Yes I did did you use the S13 notice
        Ask tenant to request that HB review the amount they pay - next in line if that fails is a formal appeal.
        My tenant informed me that the amount of HB he gets is fixed until April.
        If your rent is not excessive, which it isn't -honestly! then one or the other might bring about the desired result, or at least lessen the gap between HB and the lawful contractual rent.

If both fail, then you are either going to have to reduce the rent or find another tenant. I don't really want to do either but you have certainly given me food for thought. Thankyou so much for your response.

Comment

Hi,
          I don't have much of an understanding on it, apart from that most tenants will receive the payment directly, instead of the Landlord, and that it's supposed to promote choice and personal responsibility on the part of the tenant.
          I know that my tenant chose to have the HB paid directly to me . I have not really go to grips with what's happening in April, so if any kind soul could enlighten me I would be very grateful. Thankyou for your help.

Comment

Ask him if he has applied for discrestionary benifit from the council. I have a number of tenants who have a shortfall from the council but get the extra paied this way. Also I always get the tenant to sign a letter addressed to the council saying they are happy for the housing benifit office to discuss any aspect of the claim with the landlord (you).

Remember as soon as the tenant is 1 month and 1 day in arrears you can write to the council and request the payment goes direct to yourself .

Also you will get 13 payments per year so £475 = £514.58 pcm

Comment

Hi,
              Ask him if he has applied for discrestionary benifit from the council. Thankyou so much I will do this tomorrowI have a number of tenants who have a shortfall from the council but get the extra paied this way. Also I always get the tenant to sign a letter addressed to the council saying they are happy for the housing benifit office to discuss any aspect of the claim with the landlord (you).Thankyou again for this information I will also do this tomorrow.
              Remember as soon as the tenant is 1 month and 1 day in arrears you can write to the council and request the payment goes direct to yourself .

Also you will get 13 payments per year so £475 = £514.58 pcm doh! I didn't think of this!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by Hudson01
                Ok before you even consider what the agent did or did not do you need to get a handle on exactly what the tenancy says, if the s21 was valid and what the intentions of YOUR tenant are, you need them out asap, a lot of agents are utterly useless, are you located far away from the property and is that...
                25-01-2022, 15:58 PM
              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by Beeble
                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by jpkeates
                The work that they do would effectively be rent.
                But the letting rules for agricultural workers are different - but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
                25-01-2022, 15:12 PM
              • Rent a Room scheme
                by lgr001
                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by jpkeates
                Unless you've always wanted to be a landlord, I'd sell them and use the money to do something different.

Being a landlord at some distance is not easy, and being a landlord isn't all gravy either.
                It's not something to do just because an opportunity comes up.
                25-01-2022, 15:09 PM
              • Inherited a few rentals
                by Landlord7289
                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by jpucng62
                Sell them.

As a 40% tax payer you will be hit hard by tax; managing properties from afar is difficult and expensive; as IHT will have been paid there will be no CGT if you sell quickly; land lording is not something you can learn overnight & there are a multitude of pitfalls.
                25-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                by lgr001
                Just as an afterthought... Plan B: Would I be allowed to have someone stay in the mobile home rent free in return for helping me about the farm? (I have 10 acres which needs a lot of up keep in the summer) They would shower and wash and possibly cook in the main home but just sleep and use the lounge...
                25-01-2022, 14:55 PM
                by lgr001
                Thanks everyone. I will take your advice and not bother. The mobile home is on my property and the door is about 10ft away from my door but it has shower, toilet etc. I really don't think it's worth all the bother especially as I have an extremely difficult neighbour who would report me at the drop...
                25-01-2022, 14:48 PM
              • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
                by jpkeates
                You're right, fuzzy thinking day.
                25-01-2022, 14:29 PM
              Working...
              X