Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evicting tenant by bailiffs- procedure

Dear all,

to cut a long story short I am now waiting to get a date from the Court Bailiffs to evict a tenant who owes me 6 months rent and did not leave on the date ordered by the court.
    This tenant is full of tricks and I,m almost sure he will not vacate willingly.

So, when I go to the property with the Bailiff and locksmith, one way or another I presume we will get in.

If the tenant is not there, but all his belongings are, what do we do with them. Throw them out in the street? Or does the bailiff take them to be sold to go towards the debt?

Alternatively, if the tenant IS there, I ,m sure he will create all kinds of stories about he has nowhere to go and he,s not well enough to leave. What happens in that case, and again what do we do with his belongings?

Any advice welcome,

thanks

BW

This link might cover what you do with the tenant's goods.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

My understanding is that the landlord has an obligation to store them if the tenant doesn't remove them but that the tenant should meet the expenses associated with removal and storage (but let's see what Jeffrey or other more experienced posters advise).

I'm guessing that the best approach is not to get into any discussions with the tenant, stand back and let the bailiff's do their work, get the belongings out, the locks changed and ask the Police to be present.

Here's some info here on bailiffs and the eviction process

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-2912.cfm

Do the more experienced posters recommend a man & van, plus storage space is booked in order for the tenant to remove all belongings on that date? Or is it the case that the landlord should simply change the locks and arrange a later date for the tenant to return and remove their belongings?

Comment

I would wait till the locks are changed, and remove the property a few days later you dont want to do it straight away while the "tenant" is still hovering about. He might slip back in and claim squatters rights.

Comment

Thanks to those who replied.

The bailiff links was very helpful.

However, the situation may have changed.

We have a suspicion the the "tenant" may either be subletting the flat(a clever scam collecting rent while not paying anything himself) or will claim a different identity when the bailiff calls.

The reason we suspect this is that the local council has contacted me asking for the unpaid council tax for the flat recently. When we let the flat in May we informed the council we had let it and informed them of his name. Aparently he wrote back saying there was no-one there of that name, signing with another name and not paying any council tax. I presume he,s not paying any utility bills either.

That make us think that he may be subletting or will pretend to be someone else when the bailiff calls.

What happens in that case? Can the Bailiff evict whoever is there, no matter who they are, even if they have paid rent to our "tenant" or assume a different idenity?

Your views would be appreciated, this guy is beginning to frighten me,

thanks

BW

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
          This link might cover what you do with the tenant's goods.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

My understanding is that the landlord has an obligation to store them if the tenant doesn't remove them but that the tenant should meet the expenses associated with removal and storage (but let's see what Jeffrey or other more experienced posters advise).

I'm guessing that the best approach is not to get into any discussions with the tenant, stand back and let the bailiff's do their work, get the belongings out, the locks changed and ask the Police to be present.

Do the more experienced posters recommend a man & van, plus storage space is booked in order for the tenant to remove all belongings on that date? Or is it the case that the landlord should simply change the locks and arrange a later date for the tenant to return and remove their belongings?
          See other thread re disposal of uncollected goods.
          [settloe_99's re "How long to keep Tenant's possessions")
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks to those who replied, but does anyone have any views on my second post in this thread,

rgs

BW

Comment

I would suspect that the baliff will evict whoever is there - the tenant + his family, friends, sub-tenants, pets etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by theartfullodger
                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Hudson01
                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by jpkeates
                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by DoricPixie
                I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
              Working...
              X