Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evicting tenant by bailiffs- procedure

Dear all,

to cut a long story short I am now waiting to get a date from the Court Bailiffs to evict a tenant who owes me 6 months rent and did not leave on the date ordered by the court.
    This tenant is full of tricks and I,m almost sure he will not vacate willingly.

So, when I go to the property with the Bailiff and locksmith, one way or another I presume we will get in.

If the tenant is not there, but all his belongings are, what do we do with them. Throw them out in the street? Or does the bailiff take them to be sold to go towards the debt?

Alternatively, if the tenant IS there, I ,m sure he will create all kinds of stories about he has nowhere to go and he,s not well enough to leave. What happens in that case, and again what do we do with his belongings?

Any advice welcome,

thanks

BW

This link might cover what you do with the tenant's goods.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

My understanding is that the landlord has an obligation to store them if the tenant doesn't remove them but that the tenant should meet the expenses associated with removal and storage (but let's see what Jeffrey or other more experienced posters advise).

I'm guessing that the best approach is not to get into any discussions with the tenant, stand back and let the bailiff's do their work, get the belongings out, the locks changed and ask the Police to be present.

Here's some info here on bailiffs and the eviction process

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-2912.cfm

Do the more experienced posters recommend a man & van, plus storage space is booked in order for the tenant to remove all belongings on that date? Or is it the case that the landlord should simply change the locks and arrange a later date for the tenant to return and remove their belongings?

Comment

I would wait till the locks are changed, and remove the property a few days later you dont want to do it straight away while the "tenant" is still hovering about. He might slip back in and claim squatters rights.

Comment

Thanks to those who replied.

The bailiff links was very helpful.

However, the situation may have changed.

We have a suspicion the the "tenant" may either be subletting the flat(a clever scam collecting rent while not paying anything himself) or will claim a different identity when the bailiff calls.

The reason we suspect this is that the local council has contacted me asking for the unpaid council tax for the flat recently. When we let the flat in May we informed the council we had let it and informed them of his name. Aparently he wrote back saying there was no-one there of that name, signing with another name and not paying any council tax. I presume he,s not paying any utility bills either.

That make us think that he may be subletting or will pretend to be someone else when the bailiff calls.

What happens in that case? Can the Bailiff evict whoever is there, no matter who they are, even if they have paid rent to our "tenant" or assume a different idenity?

Your views would be appreciated, this guy is beginning to frighten me,

thanks

BW

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
          This link might cover what you do with the tenant's goods.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

My understanding is that the landlord has an obligation to store them if the tenant doesn't remove them but that the tenant should meet the expenses associated with removal and storage (but let's see what Jeffrey or other more experienced posters advise).

I'm guessing that the best approach is not to get into any discussions with the tenant, stand back and let the bailiff's do their work, get the belongings out, the locks changed and ask the Police to be present.

Do the more experienced posters recommend a man & van, plus storage space is booked in order for the tenant to remove all belongings on that date? Or is it the case that the landlord should simply change the locks and arrange a later date for the tenant to return and remove their belongings?
          See other thread re disposal of uncollected goods.
          [settloe_99's re "How long to keep Tenant's possessions")
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks to those who replied, but does anyone have any views on my second post in this thread,

rgs

BW

Comment

I would suspect that the baliff will evict whoever is there - the tenant + his family, friends, sub-tenants, pets etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant in situ
                by jpkeates
                It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                So things that need to be done at the very start...
                24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
              • Tenant in situ
                by Bridge2020
                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by jpkeates
                You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
              • Rent a Room scheme
                by lgr001
                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
              • Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
                by DoricPixie
                How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
                by jpucng62
                Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
                24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by Interlaken
                Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
                24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
              • Reply to How to track down landlord
                by kelbol
                Emailing means the person may or may not receive it, and if they do, they may or may not reply. I didn't want to wait around to find out if I do get a reply. I wanted to get a phone number.
                In any case, I managed to get hold of the Landlord via the business. The ball is now in his court.
                24-01-2022, 13:15 PM
              Working...
              X