X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcwilkins
    replied
    Originally posted by johnjw View Post
    Peter asks why does anyone enter into a 12 month tenancy.
    Sorry, John, I didn't make myself clear [in my wrath :-)]. My point was that if it was possible to end a 12 month contract after 6 months, what would be the point of 12 month contracts existing?

I fully understand why LL's often prefer longer contracts, but in this case it seems that OP wanted the security of a longer contract for himself but somehow thinks that T is not entitled to the same security.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• johnjw
    replied
    Hi Podi,
    No, the only way you can end the tenancy prematurely, would be by mutual agreement. Its worth talking to your tenant; just possibly they may want to leave early. You could also consider offering compensation. It depends on how important early repossession is to you.
    Peter asks why does anyone enter into a 12 month tenancy. I think the answer is that you know where you are (unfortunately for Podi as it happens). You dont have to think about finding another tenant for a whole year - and dont forget that your 6 month tenant can leave a decision on whether or not to leave, until the very last day.
    I much prefer 1 year or 2 year tenancies. Assuming your tenant is OK, you have peace of mind and you save the costs of re-advertising and having blank periods in your lettings.
    John

Leave a comment:

• pcwilkins
    replied
    Originally posted by podi View Post
    I wonder if anyone may be able to help. I signed an AST with my tenant in May this year for a 1 year tenancy. As far as I can tell there is no 6-month break clause in the tenancy agreement.
    What do you mean, "as far as I can tell"? Is there, or isn't there? Did you put one in? If not, it's probably not there.

However, it's looking like I may need to sell the house before the end of the contract. Does anybody know whether I am able to give 2 month's notice after 6 months is up, even if a break is not explicitly referenced in the contract?
    Let's suppose you can for a moment. Now, can you explain to us --- what is the point of 12-month contracts?

If this wasn't your first post I would probably say something extremely rude but I'm biting my tongue.

I can't believe that a few months ago you didn't even think about whether you might have to sell, and now all of a sudden it's so urgent that you'd even consider turfing your tenant out of their home!

And people wonder why landlords have a bad name :-/

Grrrr. Rant over.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• podi
    started a topic AST 6-month break clause

AST 6-month break clause

Hi,

I wonder if anyone may be able to help. I signed an AST with my tenant in May this year for a 1 year tenancy. As far as I can tell there is no 6-month break clause in the tenancy agreement. However, it's looking like I may need to sell the house before the end of the contract. Does anybody know whether I am able to give 2 month's notice after 6 months is up, even if a break is not explicitly referenced in the contract?

Thanks for any help

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X