Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a guarantor for this tenant ?

Hi

I have a lady that wants to move into one of my flats in a few weeks.
    She is single so therefore has only one wage (the rent is £700) and she has only been in this country for 2 months.Her work references are excellent.
    Should I use a guarantor in this situation ?

She also has dogs (I don't mind these,the flat needs a refurb anyway which I will do when she leaves) so how much extra deposit should I take for dogs ?

Many thanks for your help.

For a start, you haven't said what she's earning - the rent/earnings is usually the main determinant of whether a guarantor is needed. Personally, I use the criteria given here:

http://www.gps-online.co.uk/webpage.asp?id=60 which states:

A tenant must earn at least 1.5 times the yearly rent. If you earn at least this you will qualify but will need a guarantor.

If you earn at least 2.5 times the yearly rent you will qualify on the income part of the referencing without a guarantor.

However, being from overseas obviously makes it harder because you're unlikely to get a decent credit history, plus if she does a runner back home owing you money, you'd probably have no chance of tracking her down eg to enforce a CCJ.

But I'd say you have a bit of a catch-22, because she's highly unlikely to be able to produce a UK-based guarantor which is what you need. If she were to provide a guarantor from her home country, you'd have just the same problem with vetting/pursuing debts.

I think a large deposit or substantial advance rent payment is the only realistic option.

Comment

Are you sure she has only been here for two months? The fact she has dogs tells me she has been here longer (quarantine if no pet passport is 6 months). Also, someone who hasn't been here very long wouldn't rush out and buy dogs, unless they belong to her partner whom you haven't mentioned at all.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
        Are you sure she has only been here for two months? The fact she has dogs tells me she has been here longer (quarantine if no pet passport is 6 months). Also, someone who hasn't been here very long wouldn't rush out and buy dogs, unless they belong to her partner whom you haven't mentioned at all.
        Very good point and well spoted.!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sharemaster2 View Post
          Well spotted!
          Dalmations?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Dalmations?
            Nah, Dalmations aren't spoted...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Nah, Dalmations aren't spoted...
              ...but dalmatiAns are spotTed.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                ...but dalmatiAns are spotTed.
                Well spotted...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Well spotted...
                  Damnation (or damnotion); sorry for typo!
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X