Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodent1
    replied
    This is a common occurance when an origanal door is replaced with a wider new pvc door ...the whole original frame and side "panels" are removed and the new door frame is wider ...in vic tce gas meter is very often in a recessed cupboard right behind the door (floor level) and lecky also behind door ...a serious pain in the Axxxx...especially if HMO as to comply with fire regs all gas and lecky "bits" on escape route must be fireproofed (in FP cupboard)

Also if HMO front door should be "locked/unlocked" without key or any other tool so you may have to change locks to "thumb turn" type....

Never been pulled on doorwidth in any of my HMO's...

S

Leave a comment:

• Elektratek
    replied
    ummm...

Risk assessment is the answer!

Unfortunately not as simple, but a fire exit should be 1meter wide for wheel chair access etc, and a fire exit should open outwards. Most front doors don't do that. This is commonly found in a terraced two up two down victiorian property... close? Has someone boxed in the high level consumer unit? sometimes the box is rather larger than needed, may help to change the cupboard if there is one. No rules that i know of, but i don't know everything! If you have a 700mm clear width, i wouldn't suppose it is a great fire risk, merely a pain in the a*** when moving.

hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by FredJCat View Post
    The front door at our rental property doesn't open fully because the fuse box and wires are behind it. Each time a new tennant moves in the door has to be taken off. Does anyone know if there's anything that says it has to be changed? Fire regulations etc?
    Provided the door opens wide enough to let someone in or out in the event of a fire, I don't see how that can be a safety issue.

But how utterly bizarre. How on earth did this situation come about?

Isn't it possible to read the meters by poking a digital camera at them and taking a few photos? I've use that trick many times when I want to eyeball something which I physically can't access.

Leave a comment:

• FredJCat
    started a topic Front door - fire regulations

Front door - fire regulations

The front door at our rental property doesn't open fully because the fuse box and wires are behind it. Each time a new tennant moves in the door has to be taken off. Does anyone know if there's anything that says it has to be changed? Fire regulations etc?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X