Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential tenant- checking income/status

Hi
    I have a potential tenant that has applied for a property. They have completed a referencing form ready for checking. They state they are employed and their mother is their employer, they are bookkeepers. I have asked for proof of income, they could not find their P60 but they have provided 6 months worth of wage slips.

The suspicious side of me wonders if the income is true. As they work for their mother their mother could say any amount of income. They are bookkeepers and I’m sure it would not be hard with bookkeeping software to knock up some bogus wage slips.

Is there a way of checking someone income that does not involve them or there employer

Check with their accountants.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

thought of that, but as they are bookkeepers they do their own accounts and tax

Comment

Ask for Bank reference AND copies of three months' statements showing supposed income items credited?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Bloody hell! What if someone lives in the cash economy or some other form of "tax planning"?
          Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
            Bloody hell! What if someone lives in the cash economy or some other form of "tax planning"?
            Aren't they book-keepers, though?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X