Is my tenant unreasonable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my tenant unreasonable?

I have joint tenants whom I found through an agency, but manage myself. I don't have any problems with one of them but the other phones me frequently phones me with minor complaints.

These include

Tv reception not good enough-wants new aerial
    Radiators need bleeding
    A plant is growing in the external brickwork
    Door catches on carpet
    Plastic bit on pendant light slipped and needed pushing up to the ceiling
    Crack in reception room ceiling.
    'missed a bit' when bathroom was painted-can see patch of silk paint under matt.

There has been a problem with the shower leaking which has been fixed by the man who installed the bathroom.

Am I responsible for these minor problems or should I expect her to either live with them or fix them herself?

The house is victorian but structurly sound. Before this tenancy started the house was fully refurbished with new bathroom, kitchen, gch, dg, carpets and roof.

Originally posted by mustard View Post
    I have joint tenants whom I found through an agency, but manage myself. I don't have any problems with one of them but the other phones me frequently phones me with minor complaints.

These include

Radiators need bleeding
    Door catches on carpet
    'missed a bit' when bathroom was painted-can see patch of silk paint under matt.

There has been a problem with the shower leaking which has been fixed by the man who installed the bathroom.

Am I responsible for these minor problems or should I expect her to either live with them or fix them herself?

The house is victorian but structurly sound. Before this tenancy started the house was fully refurbished with new bathroom, kitchen, gch, dg, carpets and roof.
    Your tenant is a bit on the fussy side. Basically you need to repair anything that could be a health and safety issue.

Bleeding the rads would come under the tenants responsibility.

TV reception; as long as it is reasonable and as good as recepetion generally in the area, I wouldn't worry.

Other things; up to you. The tenant is reporting issues that could be alerting you of something more serious, so don't be too annoyed.

What you need to do is to say thank you for keeping you informed and please put all future concerns in a letter only. Only serious repairs should be reported by phone, all others should be in writing. You will bear all this in mind the next time handyman becomes available or an inspection is due as none of the above is serious.

If you want to keep tenants long term, then treat them with respect and keep them happy to some degree. But there is high demand for rentals, this is not so important.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Mmmmm.

Perhaps the tenant is just being particularly fastidious with reporting repairs as per the tenancy agreement and is worried about being blamed for the consequences of not reporting them in full, such as future unfair deductions from the deposit (for example, damage to carpet caused by poor fitting door).

Perhaps it's better that they are comprehensively reporting them rather than letting them go unreported to you - the forum is full of tales of landlords that take back their properties and find a minor unreported leak has caused considerable damage, for example.

My tenants are complete girlies and struggle to change a fuse in a plug. I most certainly wouldn't let them loose on radiator bleeding. Changing lightbulbs and smoke detector batteries is all I'd expect them to do.

My tenants reported a problem with TV reception which I chose to investigate at my own expense. It was a very expensive way of finding out that there were environmental reasons why the signal was poor, that a new aerial would not resolve it in anyway. It required a simple switch to a digital signal rather than analogue through a freeview box or digi television.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post
        Mmmmm.

Perhaps the tenant is just being particularly fastidious with reporting repairs as per the tenancy agreement and is worried about being blamed for the consequences of not reporting them in full, such as future unfair deductions from the deposit (for example, damage to carpet caused by poor fitting door).

Perhaps it's better that they are comprehensively reporting them rather than letting them go unreported to you - the forum is full of tales of landlords that take back their properties and find a minor unreported leak has caused considerable damage, for example.
        This is a good point. When I moved in here I sent the agent a very picky list of every last little thing wrong splitting the list into items I actually wanted repaired and those where it was really to cover my deposit and I was leaving any repair decision to the LL's discretion.

Needless to say none of the discretion list are fixed. I expect there will be complaints made to me about them when I leave at which point I'll have the list to show them it wasn't me.

In fact nothing was even repaired on the want list unless I fought for it. I gave up on the LL's leaking guttering after reporting it five times over three months including sending photos of the leak in full flow. Then spent the next year admiring the lovely waterfall down the building every time it rains ... and that's all the water from that side of the roof as the guttering wasn't even conected to the down pipe, who on earth did the snagging (new build) I've no idea!
        ~~~~~

Comment

Unless you advertised the property as having "good TV reception" this is not your problem. You probably didn't even mention TV reception at all, so you are not obliged to make sure it's provided.

Radiators need bleeding
          As long as the house is warm enough to be habitable, they don't "need" bleeding --- the tenant would like them bled but you're under no obligation to do it. Could always send T a key to do it themselves?

Again, unless you advertised the property as "having no plants growing in external brickwork" this is hardly a big deal. Of course it might be an idea to get the plant out as it's probably not doing the brickwork any good, but that's your decision.

Door catches on carpet
          I don't think that one even needs a comment. It's up to the T whether to open and shut the door. If it's that much of a problem just go round and remove the door altogether, that should do the trick.

As long as it's not dangerous or is making the house uninhabitable, repairing this is probably at your discretion.

Again, so long as house is safe, there is no problem. It's merely a cosmetic issue, as is the next one.

Tell them it's meant to be like that, it's called modern art.

I think you are right --- your tenant is unreasonable.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Beeber View Post

My tenants are complete girlies and struggle to change a fuse in a plug. I most certainly wouldn't let them loose on radiator bleeding. .
            If you were an absentee landlord and it costed you £30 a time to get it sorted, I think you might change your mind on that one !!
            Show them how to do it once and they should be able to cope . If I can do it, anyone can!
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I think it depends on the tone of the tenant.

We have been in two rentals since selling up to travel around a bit.

In both cases the houses had suffered neglect by the previous tenants. The LLs presented the properties well, but there were issues you could only find out one you live there.

We took the view that the LL deserved to know every problem and could decide whether to protect their investment by dealing with minor issues. We insisted on a few things such as electrical faults and suchlike but other things we left up to the LL.

In the first house, the LL was quite willing to fix anything and it was always done promptly but the LA considered us nitpickers and a pain in the @rse. (And let us know as much)

In the second house most things were dealt with without fuss at all. The LL came personally with the LA the other day for the first time during a routine inspection, thanked us profusely for looking after the place and informing him of small problems. (He will live here in the future)

Without knowing the tone in which the tenant has informed of these problems, she might be trying to do you a favour.

£0.02
              Now signature free.

Comment

Thankyou for your replies

The tone of the tenant is whining. She calls about every 2 weeks with some trivial complaint. I should point out that the light fixture was in no way dangerous, it was just the plastic bit that you pull down when decorating needed to be pushed up. The property has been refurbished including the wiring. I went round last night to look at the plat growing in the 'brickwork'. It was a weed about 10 inches long growing out of the drain. She wouldn't remove it herself. The house is very warm as it has brand new gch and dg and is terraced.She has moved her boyfriend in with her so there are now 2 men and 1 woman. I really think they could have pulled a weed out of a drain themselves. I am going to tell her to put non urgent complaints in writing from now on as I dread to think what will happen if a lightbulb goes. It is a 90min round trip and while I am more than happy to do repairs and maintenence, I don't want to be her mother.

Comment

These include

Radiators need bleeding
                  Door catches on carpet

alot of these problems sound cosmetic, and your tenant sounds obsessed!

i can't see any legal obligation for most of these; however i would do what i can to keep her as happy as possible (if possible!) because she is your customer, and the customer is always right, even when they are wrong

Comment

Great tenants

I'd much rather have a tenant keep me posted about such stuff than neglect to tell me leaving loads of minor jobs to do between tenants. Like the other posters, I'd agree to do any health and safety issues immediately and give them the go ahead to do the minor stuff themselves. I'd probably want to bleed the rads myself though, it can be a very messy business for the inexperienced.

Comment

Wish my tenants had told me about a crack in the ceiling, got a call a couple of nights ago, ceiling in lounge had come down. Apparently they'd been watching the crack getting bigger for weeks! Didn't bother telling me though!

I had to fend off irate parents thinking their beloved student children were stuck with a slumlord when the reality was they'd sat there with their thumbs up their collective a%*s watching the problem get bigger.

Fortunately I'm too old and cynical to get too upset about it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                        by ChrisDennison
                        Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
                      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                        by fmST1
                        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                      • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                        by jpkeates
                        The characteristics of the people you wish to home would be obvious red flags to most PRS landlords.
                        I don't think you would be able to persuade me to risk the value of my property when the option to remove a problem tenant is, essentially, unavailable.

I have only thought about this...
                        18-09-2020, 13:02 PM
                      • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                        by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                        Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                        18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                      • Reply to Guarantor agreements
                        by ChrisDennison
                        I thought the whole point is that you don’t need to go to court to remove non-tenants? You simply get some burly friends and perform re-entry yourself?
                        18-09-2020, 13:00 PM
                      • Guarantor agreements
                        by CHARLIEMAN
                        Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
                        16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                      • Reply to Is a Form 6A required?
                        by KTC
                        How good are you at citing authorities and giving arguments on how your DIY form is "substantially to the same effect" to the prescribed form?

Just use the form as prescribed.
                        18-09-2020, 12:20 PM
                      • Is a Form 6A required?
                        by doorstop
                        Hello all

I've just been looking at a S21 validity checking flowchart from a well known Housing Law blog. It suggests that unless the S21 looks "exactly like the Form 6A", then it is invalid.

However, the .gov website states that "In England, use form 6a if your...
                        18-09-2020, 11:28 AM
                        by Lawcruncher
                        Change "there's a reasonable chance that" to "it can be virtually guaranteed that"....
                        18-09-2020, 12:15 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        A problem would probably arise when the "special tenant" served notice and the actual occupants didn't move out.
                        When the landlord goes to court to remove the trespassers, there's a reasonable chance that the court would choose to treat the "special tenant" as the sham it ...
                        18-09-2020, 12:09 PM
                      Working...
                      X