• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better to leave empty for a while?

Hi there
    Have got my property up for sale.

It costs about 3.5k a year to run empty

Its worth about 270k

If for some reason it doesnt sell, do you think its worth leaving empty and trying again next year /year after rather than let and have to make it look good again afterwards?

Rent would come to about 7k a year but then youve got the worry of what they are doing to it/will they pay rent/will they go etc

Thanks

Originally posted by Cavan View Post
    If for some reason it doesnt sell,
    Reduce the price.

There is a 2 bed ex rental up for sale across the road from my house. The landlord originally had it up for sale at £280K, but that's the price of a 3 bed on my street. It was reduced to £260K, and he's had an offer for £250K. This is the stamp duty threshold, and the price of 2 beds around here, but he still won't accept it.

Comment

depends where it is and if the market is going up or not. Might be best to just sell up.

Comment

Do what you want, it is your decision.
        Plenty of people should be looking for a home to buy/rent come Sept, depending on location etc

Comment

Is there an escalator on void council tax where you live?

Comment

Re the void council tax escalator- i do not know- i wasnt aware there was such a thing. I will take a look thanks

Comment

I would be extremely concerned about the insurance coverage leaving a property empty that long. I dont know if the property is mortgaged but if so unsure if the mortgage company would be too pleased either?
              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

not all councils give a void period discount. Mine doesn't.

But all insurance companies will insure empty properties. Estimate the premium to at least double if not triple though. I know this from experience. BTW, you'll get a better response from insurance companies if you are doing work in the property during a void because at least someone is in or around the property. It may be worth you while getting some work done and letting them know you actually want them to take their time so as to string it out. Get a comparison of insurance quotes to see if it makes a difference. It did with my broker.

Comment

When we were getting work done on an empty property it was hard - and very expensive - to insure. It would have been cheaper to insure empty as long as we were prepared to commit to checking on it regularly.

I'm pessimistic about the market over the next 2 years so I'd reduce the price if it wasnt selling by September.

Comment

If the property doesn't sell for what it's worth, it isn't worth that amount.
                    A property is worth what someone is prepared to buy it for.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                      not all councils give a void period discount. Mine doesn't.

But all insurance companies will insure empty properties. Estimate the premium to at least double if not triple though. I know this from experience. BTW, you'll get a better response from insurance companies if you are doing work in the property during a void because at least someone is in or around the property. It may be worth you while getting some work done and letting them know you actually want them to take their time so as to string it out. Get a comparison of insurance quotes to see if it makes a difference. It did with my broker.
                      Thankyou for that info and tip - very useful 👍

Comment

Thankyou all for your responses . i had no idea that they could escalate the council tax- but four weeks after it was empty I received a letter from a council agent telling me that i should pay 150 per cent rate after two years 😬. Out of interest, I was reading in the 'lighthearted' bit of the forum about the programme ' when the landlords came' . Someone mentioned letting out for less than market value (presumably someone was on the show doing that). I suppose peopke do this when they want to keep the property for capital growth. Does anyone know what the pitfalls are? Do you hink you'd curry good favour from tenants by doing this and they might take care of the house? I'd never considered this before- or even heard of it.

Comment

Re leaving it empty, we were asked by the insurers to leave the heating on low as part of the cover....

Comment

Originally posted by Cavan View Post
                            Do you hink you'd curry good favour from tenants by doing this and they might take care of the house?
                            Quite the reverse in my experience:

Tenant takes you for a 'pussy', and wrecks the house all the more.

Comment

I'd take the risk and rent it out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
                                buttons
                                I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
                                20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                KTC
                                If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
                                20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
                              • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                                koksy
                                I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
                                20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                                leaseholder64
                                The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
                                20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
                                security2
                                If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
                                20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                Wannadonnadoodah
                                May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
                                20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                buttons
                                This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
                                20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                Wannadonnadoodah
                                In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
                                20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                buttons
                                I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
                                20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
                              • Reply to Abandonment
                                KTC
                                Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
                                20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X