Add or not add daughter to tenancy agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add or not add daughter to tenancy agreement?

Hi
    Inherited a property in Newcastle.
    Long term housing benefit tenants (mother and 22 year old daughter) who have been there for 5 years. Good tenants. New tenancy was created exactly the same as the old one except for change of landlord and relevant details. 22 year old was never on tenancy and I didn`t put her on either. It`s a bit weird because HB told me they are paying for a two bed flat but only have the HB in the mother`s name. When I asked them about the daughter claiming HB they said the HB is paid for the property and the daughter can`t claim for this reason! Doesn`t quite make sense to me!
    My question is - as the HB is in the name of the mother only, the daughter has never actually paid anything towards the rent. This obviously isn`t a problem for the above reason.
    However in this situation, from a landlord`s point of view, is it better to have the daughter on the tenancy agreement or not? I may want to sell the flat and unclear whether it`s more problematic or actually easier if the daughter is not on the tenancy despite living there for 5 years.
    Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing - blame those at the HB office!
    Thanks
    Rachel

I doubt the mother will want the daughter on the tenancy agreement as that may impact both of their benefits - so it's probably academic.

If you have a BTL mortgage on the property they may require that all adult residents are tenants (or tenants or permitted occupants).
    Same with landlord insurance.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X