Accidental damage by tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidental damage by tenant

Can you please give me some advice, I am a landlord and the tenant contacted me to say that when he opened the French doors the wind took it out of his hand and subsequently broke the door and is not repairable so he states is an accident, if it is as he says then I agree my question is who is responsible for the cost of replacing the doors ?
    I may be able to claim it from my buildings insurance but the first £300 excess is payable would the tenant be liable for this cost ?
    Please advice Just want to do the right thing ? Derek

Accident my *rse.

Just get it fixed and issue tenant with a section 21 notice. If he wants to stay on, he reimburses you the whole cost of repair.

Comment

If you lived there, who would pay ? You would. Not because you are responsible to maintain your own house, but because it was windy and you did not take note of the conditions, or you had weak hands / arms, or were just irresponsible, did not think.

Sate that you did not break it, or allow it to be caught by the wind, so why should you pay.
      You get the door fixed and give him an invoice.
      He wont like it, but you did not allow it to be broken.

We learn from our mistakes, and tenant know knows that wind can take a door out of your hands, and he will be careful next time.
      What happens next time if he trips over carrying a heavy object and demolishes an interior door, a bathroom sink , etc etc.

Comment

Agree with above responses. The mere fact that it is in the nature of an "accident" (i.e. was not deliberately done) is not enough to make T not liable.

For example if tenant were to accidentally fail to brake when parking in the garage, demolishing the garage that would not mean you would be liable (ultimately) for the cost of repair.

Comment

Tenant should pay.

Not just the excess: ask insurance company how this will affect your premiums for the next 5 years (in today's money).

Comment

Advise tenant that they are responsible for any accidental damage and advise them they may wish to take their own home insurance which includes accidental damage incase of any future disputes.

If your insurance does cover then I would advise that In this circumstance only you are willing to make a claim on their behalf and that they can cover the excess. Give them the option so they feel they have some control.

Having said all that, if they are being genuine (which I doubt) and the wind really did take it then they will probably claim that the door was faulty to begin with. That will be down to you.

I have never known a wind take a perfectly fitted French door off its hinges or deem it unrepairable. If they go down this route then tell them you will have an expert investigate the cause

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
              you are willing to make a claim on their behalf and that they can cover the excess.
              And the difference due to the higher premium over the next few years because you claimed...

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                And the difference due to the higher premium over the next few years because you claimed...
                When you add all that up, it would probably be cheaper for tenant just to pay for the repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
                  I have never known a wind take a perfectly fitted French door off its hinges or deem it unrepairable.
                  I wonder if the OP just means that the glass shattered. A gust of wind has blown my French door back against the wall a few times, but we have a rubber bung on the wall at handle height, just in case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                    by jpucng62
                    Much as I have sympathy for your clients and would like to support your work, I like jpkeates, would be unlikely to accept this kind of tenant. There is just too much risk for a private LL.

I did once rent a property to a similar organisation and the problem was not the tenant but her boyfriend...
                    18-09-2020, 14:49 PM
                  • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                    by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                    Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                    18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                  • Reply to Part furnished
                    by jpucng62
                    Hope you held on to the deposit
                    18-09-2020, 14:45 PM
                  • Part furnished
                    by Chester Perry
                    Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                    18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                    by Chester Perry
                    I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                    18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                    by jpkeates
                    A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                    The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                    18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                  • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                    by Bumblebee3000
                    We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                    17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
                    by theartfullodger
                    Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                    18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                    by Bumblebee3000
                    This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                    18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                  • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                    by jpkeates
                    The process seems to have changed recently.
                    The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                    You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                    But you do that with only access to what the...
                    18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
                  Working...
                  X