Tenant improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant improvements

Hi all, new to the site, and to being a landlord.
    The property I'm renting out is a bit unusual, you go in on the middle floor, and access the garden by going through the house.
    The tenants just moved in and want to have an external staircase from the front of the property down to the garden like some of the neighbours have. In principal I like the idea, and would like to keep my tenants happy, but I'm not sure about how to go about it. Clearly it needs to be safe, I don't want to be liable if it collapses, and obviously I want it done to a good standard as otherwise it'd be detrimental to my property. I don't particularly want to shell out for it as there's nothing wrong and I've just spent a fortune getting it up to spec.

Thanks in advance
    Jon

Anything like this, I ask a tradesman for a price for labour and a price for materials. Then I suggest tenant pay the labour, and I pay the materials.

Thus job is done professionally, at a reasonable cost, and tenant has no justification for unscrewing anything when they leave.

Comment

Why didn't you think to do this alteration before letting the property?

Surely tenants saw the premises before accepting it and moving in?

If you do decide to get the work done ask Freeholder for consent, and neighbours for recommends of suitable builders.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Well it's not a vital piece of work. I lived there for 5 years and always thought of it as something I could do but wasn't particularly fussed.
        Consent from the tenant won't be an issue, he wants to do it, himself as he's a builder. I'm even fairly happy for him to do the work provided I get consulted throughout and am given plans etc. My reservations are a - costings, who pays for it including if they move out, b- liability if something goes wrong of collapses on the tenant in a years time, c - if it's not a good enough job and needs removing when they move out
        They did see it, and I don't think it'd be an issue if I said no, but I think they'll be long term tenants so I'd like to be supportive.
        Thanks

Comment

NEVER, ever let a tenant carry out any work at your property.
          Any improvements they make are yours to keep. ( should you ever allow modifications )
          Never ask them to pay.

You will find that they may ask for a rent reduction, or take the stairs away with them when they leave, or complain that they did all that work and expect freebies later on.

Something such as a fire escape, which it is also, MUST be done by a qualified tradesman, and not by you or your tenant.
          Any additional structures outside the building cannot be put there without freeholder consent.

You will have to have your lease updated to show the stairway is your responsibility to maintain, and not the freeholder. The other lessees have to be changed to also show the stairway is not to be maintained by the freeholder through the service charges.
          I have lived in flats, 2 and 3 story, and you walk down the stairs and into the garden. That's normal.

Do you have 5 to £ 9000 for a concrete base, and framework ?

The answer should be no,
          and if one was to be put there, you would pay, not the tenant, is not getting one, and the tenant cannot make any additions to the property ( it will be in the A.S.T. as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny2509 View Post
            Well it's not a vital piece of work. I lived there for 5 years and always thought of it as something I could do but wasn't particularly fussed.
            Consent from the tenant won't be an issue, he wants to do it, himself as he's a builder. I'm even fairly happy for him to do the work provided I get consulted throughout and am given plans etc. My reservations are a - costings, who pays for it including if they move out, b- liability if something goes wrong of collapses on the tenant in a years time, c - if it's not a good enough job and needs removing when they move out
            They did see it, and I don't think it'd be an issue if I said no, but I think they'll be long term tenants so I'd like to be supportive.
            Thanks
            Then I'd tell him it won't be happening.

Comment

Some of the replies have mentioned the freeholder, but I see nothing to indicate that the property is leasehold.

Please advise if you own the property leasehold or freehold.

Comment

Yeah it's mine, no leasehold

Comment

I know there are implications to consider, such as mentioned by Ram and others, but it would be a shame not to build that staircase. What you have is a win-win situation: tenants want staircase and its addition will improve your house. And costs will be split by both parties.

Comment

I agree with kelbol.

Make your own investigations of him as a tradesman in the same were you would if you were employing him.

Obtain references of previous work etc and if he has a good reputation then go for it.

If it's going to be his home long term he's likely to do a good job.

I would advise that you previously had no intention of undertaking such work but if he's willing to put in the labour at his own cost then you will pay for materials, providing a contract is drawn up that it belongs to you and will remain if/when tenant departs

Comment

If you go ahead, then don't forget planning permission, updating (addendum to?) inventory, and taking pictures of finished item.

If I were the tenant, I would want some assurance that recompense would be available if S21 were to be used within a certain time after completion (which prompts me to advise that the contract to fit it should have agreed timescales for completion, e.g 3 months from start of work or 3 months from provision of materials).

One other thought, that others here may be able to advise on: given that the plan is that the tenant provides labour for free, does the agreement need to be signed as a deed?

Comment

A promise to do work is consideration - so no need for a deed.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          A promise to do work is consideration - so no need for a deed.
                          I was thinking from the other side: does the tenant get anything that would make it an equitable contract?

Comment

It would be a lovely world where contracts had to be equitable!

Sadly, they don't - the limit is more like not being under duress or containing unfair terms if it's a consumer contract.
                            Which is more at the "not actually abusive" end of the "equitable" scale.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
                              by May79
                              My cat wasn’t that old or sick, we have had numerous sightings of him some 20 miles away and believe someone has dumped him there. We’re still searching for him.
                              Thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated, I’ll start looking for somewhere else. I’m hoping that their appalling conduct...
                              22-09-2020, 16:53 PM
                            • Possible to end tenancy early?
                              by May79
                              I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
                              21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
                            • Reply to Proving tenants are related
                              by DPT57
                              Yes, but the HMO regulations are in statute and I assume that a Council policy defining family relationships could only relate to their licensing conditions....
                              22-09-2020, 16:48 PM
                            • Proving tenants are related
                              by Kestrel78
                              This is our first time letting a property. One of the first viewings are three nurses who say they are cousins. We don’t have permission to let as an HMO, so is there a way to prove their relationship or anything we can ask them to sign to state their relationship so we are covered legally with our...
                              19-09-2020, 12:14 PM
                              by jpkeates
                              The only way to end the tenancy early is with the landlord's agreement.

But
                              First of all, you need to find somewhere else to live and, probably, move there.
                              Then take the keys to the agent and offer to surrender the tenancy and hand the keys over.
                              Then keep your eye on...
                              22-09-2020, 16:47 PM
                            • Reply to Doors unable to close due to carpet
                              by amy131
                              You should get this addressed as forcing the doors against the carpet will cause wear and you could get a deduction from your deposit due to this. The landlord should fix the issue. When I had carpets fitted the fitter had a tool to take a few mm off the bottom of the doors without taking them off....
                              22-09-2020, 16:41 PM
                            • Doors unable to close due to carpet
                              by Dudely
                              Hi there,

I moved into a new 1-bedroom flat about a month ago and notice that all the doors (except the front door) can’t be closed fully because it get stuck on the carpet. The bathroom door can’t be closed fully as well but it has a lock on it. Wasn’t really bother with this to...
                              20-09-2020, 20:45 PM
                            • Reply to New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?
                              by DPT57
                              I'm afraid I have to agree that they won't read anything long, so keep it short and they will forget they have it the day after they move in and will call you up about a question youve covered in some detail in the "manual". However, if part of the object is to cover yourself in case you need...
                              22-09-2020, 16:41 PM
                            • New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?
                              by Lots on
                              I’m hoping to get new tenants in the next few weeks, the house has been totally refurbished, the last tenants left after about twenty years! I’m aiming for professionals/ family. Using agents for tenant find only
                              Is it a good idea to put a “ house manual” together? What information would...
                              16-09-2020, 17:51 PM
                              by May79
                              #6 Unapproved
                              22-09-2020, 16:27 PM
                              I wrote about the issues on a previous post, one of these problems escalated to unbelievable proportions. Long story short is that I checked ahead of moving in/signing that LL’s belongings would be removed from garage (I need it for storage), this was...
                              22-09-2020, 16:34 PM
                            Working...
                            X