Maintenance and upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance and upgrades

The tenants in one of my properties keep the place in tip top condition, they have recently decorated the inside of the house and were asking me about getting the outside painted up, i think the chap will probably paint it himself if i say no but as they treat it as their home, i think only fair to get this done, am i being too soft, do tenants take the juice in general if they feel a landlord is open to this type of thing, heard of plenty who say no to just about anything ?
    Also i recently refurbished a flat and rented it to an elderly lady and her daughter, i fitted a new bath with a mixer shower above it. They say they have some issues with getting the controls to put the water to the shower, rather than the taps, they have asked if i would fit an electric shower for them. They have offered to contribute towards the cost, is this something one would normally say it is at their cost, i'm thinking of splitting 50/50 as the system there works fine, just due to their age it is a bit difficult to operate ?

Painting: Don't let tenants do it. It will always be skimped.

Shower: I suspect tenant is too tight to run the boiler. Don't go making alterations.

Comment

In general i agree, but these tenants both work, one as a cleaner and one as a carpenter, they keep the house cleaner than my own, it is always immaculate so no issues there.

Comment

Originally posted by swampydrill View Post
        In general i agree, but these tenants both work, one as a cleaner and one as a carpenter, they keep the house cleaner than my own, it is always immaculate so no issues there.
        Tenants do not have the 'investment' in both senses of the word, in your property, so are unlikely to worry about a job lasting for any length of time. If you don't believe me, wait & see what my fellow landlords think.

Comment

I'd go halves with a tenant on the shower - sounds like a sensible and reasonable idea, they get a nicer property and they're prepared to pay for it.

I'd tend not to allow tenants to decorate as a rule - but rules are made to be considered in individual cases.
          If they try it and cock it up long term, how much will it cost to sort it out when they leave against paying now.
          Places usually need painting or they don't.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            I'd go halves with a tenant on the shower - sounds like a sensible and reasonable idea, they get a nicer property and they're prepared to pay for it.
            You think an electric shower is more desirable than a boiler fed one?

Comment

Re the shower controls. As a a 70 year old landlady I can understand their problem. Perhaps they have a bit of arthritis or they are not as strong as they used to be.The changeover handle can become stiff and difficult to manage. It has happened to me in my own home.

How about checking the taps with this in mind and maybe replace the taps with something easier to manipulate. Must be cheaper than fitting a new electric shower.

Comment

Ultimately it is down to your judgement.

Painting:
                Unfortunately these days you have to consider what happens if there is injury or damage to property whilst the work is being done (tenant, neighbours, visitors)

Ask if they plan to do it themselves or get a professional in.

If do it themselves, then ask them their plans for preparation of surfaces, number and types of coats of paint to apply, protection of surrounds from inadvertent paint contamination (brick work, glass, paths, gutters, etc) and access to high areas (upstairs, fascias, etc).

You may also need to consider any liability you may have if they or anyone else are injured doing the work (e.g. falling off a ladder).

It may be possible to get them to accept all responsibility for injury to them or anyone else who happens by and for damage to property, but I am not qualified to offer any opinion on the legal position.

If you are happy with their plans and your liability should something bad happen, then give them written permission stating exactly what they are expected to do, and get them to sign a copy before they start.

Shower
                It might be cheaper and easier to find a mixer tap/shower that has a lever to switch between bath and shower, rather than a knob to pull or turn.
                i.e. provide a solution using the existing infrastructure rather than putting in new infrastructure.
                Replacing mixer tap would be a revenue expense; fitting an electric shower would be a capital expense.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                  You think an electric shower is more desirable than a boiler fed one?
                  Depends on the boiler and plumbing, I guess.

I don't pretend to be an expert on showers (I pretend to be an expert on lots of other things, but I'll hold my hands up to plumbing and heating!)
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for replies. Changing the taps is a good idea and certainly cheaper than fitting an electric shower, will make sure their issue is the switchover from taps to shower and not the mixing of hot/cold water.
                    I will probably propose they paint the outside of the property for a half months reduction in rent.

Comment

Originally posted by swampydrill View Post
                      I will probably propose they paint the outside of the property for a half months reduction in rent.
                      Do NOT reduce the rent.
                      It is your responsibility to paint the place when required, not your tenants.

If there is too much paint on things, then the old paint has to come off. Your tenants wont do that.
                      If they see some rotten wood, they will just paint over it, and wont tell you.
                      Even if they get a professional to do it, and hes says, replace that bit of wood, or, you must have primer on those bits, your tenants will say / think, just slap paint on it, we don't care, it's not our house.

Comment

Some posters, I'm afraid ask for advice then ignore it Ram.

Comment

I certainly don't ignore the advice JKO, it is appreciated and something i will think about. Obviously i can't do all the things people suggest as they conflict with each other but there are good points raised by Ram and i will certainly look at getting someone else to do the painting if deemed required.Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X