No Inventory and No TDS. Landlord taking me to court for damages and arrears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you owe a month's rent, you should pay that - rent is either owed or it isn't.
    The damage claim is completely diffferent.

Your basic "defence" is that a) the money isn't owed (unless it is for rent) because the landlord hasn't shown they've suffered any loss, b) by not protecting the deposit, the landlord has removed an opportunity to resolve the issue without costs, so you would like the court costs to be awarded against the landlord and c) the failure to protect the deposit is something you would like the court to consider awarding you the complete deposit and penalty. Small claims courts aren't meant to hear deposit protection cases, but they do and they might.

It's most likely to be sent to arbitration first, and the landlord won't show up.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Small claims courts aren't meant to hear deposit protection cases, but they do and they might.
      Particularly if you have offered a settlement as suggested above and they have refused.

Comment

You do not need to provide evidence that the deposit was not protected. It is up to them to prove that it was.

They have made a mistake and should recognise that a claim against you Is futile under the circumstances.

There's no excuse for leaving with rent arrears and especially given that the deposit was returned to you before you left.

You would have been in a better position to negotiate an out of court settlement with a higher end of the penalty if you hadn't left a mess behind.

As it is, you may have annoyed the landlord so much that he will risk a court case against you. Remember that you are only guaranteed x 1, the rest Is a gamble. I would personally not take the risk but he may now still go to court regarding the arrears and damage.

Your defence would then be that you issued your own letter before action and would like any penalty offset against any order that Is made.

As jpkeates suggests the deposit penalty shouldn't usually be dealt with by small claims but it often Is

Comment

My deposit was returned to me issue a S21 Notice, not as an act of kindness! And i did not leave a mess behind me other than 1 months arrears because of exceptional circumstance. They have no evidence of the damage etc as no check-in inventory was produced.

So issue a letter of intent for court action regarding the deposit and then use that in my defence?

I could not care less if they proceed with court action, as their claim is futile in light of the deposit scheme failure.

Comment

A months rent arrears is the equivalent of a penalty x 1 though.

Had you have paid the arrears you would be in a better position to argue a bigger penalty.

As it is now, your taking a risk that if you do go to court you won't be awarded court costs and your effectively in a stand off with the landlord. I would send them something like this:

Dear....

Please accept as a letter before action save as to costs.

I am writing with regards to your recent demands regarding rent arrears and damage which you claim was left at the property which I rented from you.

Whilst I dispute that any damage was left, I do acknowledge that rent arrears were outstanding for which I am liable.

I have sought legal advice, and on the grounds that you left my deposit unprotected by a government scheme I am entitled to a penalty from yourself of between one and three times its value. The minimum award to me will be x 1.

In light of the above I believe it would be in both of our interests that we accept that we are both owed a sum and agree to end this matter.

I will not take further action to pursue my right to a penalty upon your written agreement that I will not be contacted again I regards to monies that you claim are due.

If an agreement is not made I will make an application to court via a solicitor who will pursue the maximum penalty of x 3 plus all costs. You will be entitled to counterclaim which will cover the losses you claim I caused.

Yours

Comment

Originally posted by overthetop View Post
              And i did not leave a mess behind me other than 1 months arrears because of exceptional circumstance.
              Well that's all right then - your exceptional circumstances obviously mean that the landlord shouldn't worry about the money you owe them.

Do you apply the same principle to other money you owe?
              Presumably the people you owe it to are happy to ignore the debt because "circumstances"?

I have every sympathy for someone having trouble paying what they owe (been there!), but it doesn't stop the money being owed, it just stops you being able to pay it now.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                by DPT57
                Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
              • Rent Rises in 2020
                by jpucng62
                I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                by jpucng62
                Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
              • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                by MR M
                I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
              • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                by MR M
                The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
              • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                by newtenant9011
                You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
              • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                by thesleepingdog
                Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                by DPT57
                In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Rats
                by ChrisDennison
                These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
              • Rats
                by ETB
                I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
              Working...
              X