potentially violent neighbour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potentially violent neighbour

I moved into a housing association property 6 months ago and have had problems with my neighbours since day one. The property is a house converted into two flats. I live upstairs and the neighbour is below me. I have to enter the propery via a "communal door" at the front and then head up the stairs to my flat. My neighbour has a door just inside the "communal door" and my way in/out overlooked by my neighbours window. I have a front garden that is also overlooked by the same window. They are loud at 3am and whenever I go into the garden they stare at me through the window and over the side gate. I can hear them at the front of their flat, but as soon as I leave my flat and head into the garden they are almost instantly in their back garden watching me and making comments about me.

I have reported these issues to the housing association, but they haven't done much to prevent this behaviour. Well yesterday I got a bit annoyed with the banging and crashing and I popped my head out of my door and said give it a rest and speak to your landlord. I actually thought I said it so queitly that nobody would hear me. Unfortunately my neighbour did hear my comment and came storming up the stairs. I managed to slam my door and lock it before he reached me. My neighbour then started to bang hell out of the door. I turned on my laptops webcam and called the housing association. While on the phone discussing the banging, my neighbour started knocking on the door again. I told him I was on the phone and said go away or I will call the police. With that he started to scream and shout f this f that...And he kicked the door while shouting open that f'ing door. He left a big hole in the door.

After ending the call to the housing association I rang the police on 101. They said they would attend within the hour, but that didn't happen, so I left the property and have no intention of going back while this nutty neighbour is still living there. The housing association have told me to go back and call the police if he tries to attack me. Considering my only entrance/exit is 2 foot from his door, I would have no time to call police should he decide to pop out and punch me. I would also have no witnesses because once inside the "communal door" it is just me and my neighbour in a semi detached property. Nobody in the building next to us would see or hear a thing. If I hadn't shut the door yesterday I am sure he would have kicked me instead of the door. If I hadn't recorded the incident yesterday there wouldn't be any evidence my neighbour was even at my door.

what can I do to solve this issue ?? Like I say, the whole thing was recorded on my laptop and the police still haven't done anything about it. No arrests no nothing. The housing association and police seem to want another incident. I can't see any other reason they would suggest I return and call them if he kicks off again. Which I'm sure he will. After thinking and thinking and thinking and not being able to get his hands on me, I'm confident he will get angry and set upon me the moment he sees me. He seems to see red very easily and doesn't seem to care about witnesses or being filmed commiting a crime (criminal damage/threatening behaviour)

If anyone can advise me on what they would do in this situation, it would be very much appreciated. Until this is sorted I'm being forced to sleep on a friends sofa. Obviously this isn't a long term solution, but its better than risking another broken door...or worse !!

Being at risk of violence is considered (rightly or wrongly) as less serious than actual violence.

It is also harder to prove.

the only suggestions I can make are:
    1. Return to your home and try to lead a normal life; perhaps take a friend with you for support.
    2. Record in writing all instances of behaviour: date, time, what happened; what you did. This can then be put to the police/housing association.
    3. If possible, keep a video diary as the behaviour is being exhibited (much harder to dispute a recording of behaviour than to dispute a report of it); state date, time, and any comments on behaviour (e.g. been going on for 5 minutes now) when you start recording.
      Maybe include a TV page showing date/time as part of the recording (no cuts; pan to it) as corroboration of the time.
    4. Ask housing association to repair your door and take action against neighbour to recover the cost.
    5. Talk to Shelter and Citizens Advice for advice

Comment

I disagree.

The OP has video evidence of the tenants behaviour and I'm also assuming the housing association heard the threatened violence over the phone.

The housing association should be visiting the neighbour and explaining that such behaviour will not be tolerated. Maybe one incident would not lead to eviction but prolonged bullying will.

It may only take this action to defuse the situation but the housing association do become liable when anti social behaviour is reported.

Contact the housing association and explain the events and your fears. Ask them to visit the neighbour and advise that you have video evidence of their behaviour

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by MdeB
        It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
        18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
      • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by SamCartman
        We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
        We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
        18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by MdeB
        My experience:
        1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
        2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
        18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by fmST1
        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
      • Reply to Part furnished
        by jpucng62
        So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
        18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
      • Part furnished
        by Chester Perry
        Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
        18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
        by cuttingman
        It's not their fault they are on holiday when you want to inspect. Hopefully they don't install some hidden cameras and you can prove the notice of inspection was received by the tenant.

It's a good thing the girl doesn't have a hearing problem and was having a shower when you walked in...
        18-09-2020, 19:34 PM
        by AndrewDod
        Well the words you use "tenants agreed that it would be okay and would be at home" does NOT suggest a simple permission to enter.

I'm not 100% sure what you are aiming for here - but I would just apologise and say that you will clarify the extent of permission next time....
        18-09-2020, 19:32 PM
      • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by MdeB
        If you are imminently implementing it, then isn't it a bit late to be seeking landords' views?

Does that have any inherent meaning, or is it from a buzzword generator?

I think this is the wrong place to be looking for landlords that might be willing to...
        18-09-2020, 19:19 PM
      • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
        Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
        18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
      Working...
      X