Estate Agent and a deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate Agent and a deposit

My former tenants moved out over 3 months ago leaving over £2000 worth of damage and arrears
    The tenants cannot now raise a despite with my deposits who now say it is nothing to do with them
    The estate agents will not release the deposit without the consent of the tenants, who do not reply etc... or a court order, yet the landlord is always responsible for the deposit. Has anyone come across this before?
    Is my only option a court order which is probably throwing good money after bad. Any input would be appreciated

I'm assuming it was an insurance based protection and the deposit scheme have confirmed the deposit can be released?

If so then the agency have no business in holding it.

I would send them a letter before action with paperwork from the deposit scheme confirming it's release.

It Is now your money and I have no idea why the agency think they hold any responsibility to the tenant or have any business in retaining it.

Even if the tenant later lays claim to it, then the action the tenant would take would be against you and not the agency. I fail to see their logic

Comment

It's fairly common for tenants to disappear.
      Ask the agent what their normal process is in that case.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm confused as to why the agency have held the deposit anyway? If it were custodial it would be In a scheme and if insurance based I would have obtained the funds from them at the beginning of the tenancy?

Comment

Lesson 1: Never ever permit an agent to protect the deposit. If you use an agent at all it should be a clear condition specified in your contract with them that you personally protect the deposit in your own name. If they decline, find another agent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
            by ChrisDennison
            You can issue both, multiple times, without implications....
            23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
          • Rent arrears
            by MP31
            Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
            22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
          • Tenant Repairs
            by VPatel2707
            Good Morning All,

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

I am about to complete on a BTL property this Friday and have a quick question in relation to how self-managed landlords manage tenant repairs.

When I personally have rented before in the past, I normally did this...
            23-09-2020, 06:36 AM
          • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
            by Section20z
            Don't think I've used a standing order for ten years. I select tenants capable of setting up monthly BACS transfers. Makes it easy if I allow them to make a deduction for a minor repair for example
            23-09-2020, 06:35 AM
          • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
            by danwestgarth
            Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
            22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by Beswick
            Whilst it's good to have a landlord who wants to keep the property nice and well-maintained, all of these things added together do sound quite excessive - especially as none of the improvements seem to have been agreed with the tenant. After all, it's the landlord's property, but it's the tenant's...
            23-09-2020, 06:33 AM
          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by thesleepingdog
            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
          • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
            by Beswick
            My sentiments exactly.

I have a long term plan and increasing rents hasn't been factored into it - I'm perfectly satisfied with my projections at current rents. If a tenant moves out, I'll advertise the house at the current market rate (the rent increase will take some time to cover the...
            23-09-2020, 06:19 AM
          • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
            by ChrisDennison
            I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
            19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
          • Reply to Rent arrears
            by MP31
            Thank you I knew this was the case I just wasn't aware that if he gets to 6 months arrears the notice reduces to 4 weeks.

I will issue one last letter for this months rent and if that is not successful I will serve notice.

As I can use S8 or S21 is either one of those preferable...
            23-09-2020, 06:07 AM
          Working...
          X