Furnished but not furnished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished but not furnished

I'm about to let a property which contains a washing machine and a fridge-freezer, both working.
    Now the problem when renting a furnished property is that the LL becomes responsible for them and especially for electrical appliances which require periodic safety tests.

Can I advertise the property as unfurnished with the contract stating that there happens to be a fridge-freezer and a washing machine on site which they may use if they want but the two appliances are not part of the tenancy? And if they wish to get rid of them, LL will remove them?
    Or is this a case of having your cake and eating it - providing a furnished property without the responsibility that goes with it?

You can offer them as a gift to the tenant. Don't be annoyed if they take their gift with them when they leave though.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Wouldn't break my heart, I left these behind because I got new ones for myself. It is just easier to leave them behind than throw them or give them away.

Comment

You could include in the tenancy agreement that the washer and fridge freezer are the tenants responsibility to repair. It is quite common practice in some areas.
        They are not part of a landlords statutory repair obligations.
        (Not what I do personally.)

Comment

What would you do in that case?

Comment

In my furnished properties I supply and repair. Although that might change with the scrapping of the wear and tear allowance (so much for Tory values of promoting a mobile workforce).

I have in the past told the tenant the washing machine is not on the inventory, I'll leave it in if they want it but I'm not repairing. Never had a tenant take it when they leave, most people are reasonably honest.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
              You could include in the tenancy agreement that the washer and fridge freezer are the tenants responsibility to repair. It is quite common practice in some areas.
              They are not part of a landlords statutory repair obligations.
              (Not what I do personally.)
              Originally posted by boletus View Post
              In my furnished properties I supply and repair. Although that might change with the scrapping of the wear and tear allowance (so much for Tory values of promoting a mobile workforce).

I have in the past told the tenant the washing machine is not on the inventory, I'll leave it in if they want it but I'm not repairing. Never had a tenant take it when they leave, most people are reasonably honest.
              I think your second suggestion (that doesnt oblige a tenant to repair it) is fairer.

Comment

On the rare occasions that I have provided such white goods, I have said at viewings that the items are available on the basis that if they break down, then I will not repair or replace, and noted the same on the inventory.

Comment

You might want to add something permitting them to dispose of the items if they are not repairable

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X